• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Mansfield

Guest Meteoriot

Guest Meteoriot

Hi all. Just signed up but unfortunately have to nip out so just a quick intro.

Just finally got myself a good scope and looking forward to getting to grips with it and doing a bit of webcam photography with my spc900.

I am looking to find a good local area to drive out to with the scope on a regular basic (weather permitting) in order to get away from the light pollution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Hi Richard welcome to EMS.

If you don't mind me asking, what scope have you got?

With regards to dark sites, we have 2, one up at Belper and the other is at Wymswold, both are free for the first visit, just for you to try, then if you like them it is only £20 a year dark site membership, which is a bargain.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the forum, any questions just fire away.

Welcome to EMS Richard. It is nice to get the scope away from the Mansfield lights. I haven't been to Wymeswold yet, but I've seen some great skies at Belper.

Hi Richard and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

We try and have meets for observing and imaging as frequently as the weather allows, and as Daren says, you'd be most welcome to join us for a session, get a feel for the group, and see if you'd like to become a "dark site" member. Keep your eye on the Info and Announcements section for "EMS Meets" - especially at the weekends. Sessions can be initiated and/or cancelled at short notice depending on weather.

Meantime enjoy the forum, if you have any questions feel free to start a thread in the Beginners Section and someone will be along with help soon. Look forward to meeting you at a session soon. :)

Guest Meteoriot

Hi all thanks for the replies.

Firstly I have a newly aquired celestron nexstar 8 se. I have only used it twice so far dues to the weather but looking forward to using it properly.

The Belper site is closer for me. Sounds ideal. I would certainly like to come along. So how does it work please? Is it just meetings or is the site free to use for members?

Looks like your just a few streets away from me Pete lol. Im near the new Sainsburies. Nice to know there is a local group.

Yes, welcome to the local group as well Richard :) .

When there is another meet at Belper, you could follow me down there. It is mostly for observing sessions, but sometimes there are meetings inside the clubhouse. If you have a read at the the post entitled "Belper Friday 4th Jan 2013" you will see that it is currently a bit waterlogged, so we didn't go...

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/3411-belper-friday-4th-jan-2013/page-2#entry38066

I'm sure it will soon be usable again though. On a good night the sky can be wonderful at Belper. Come and have a look for free, and then if you like it, pay £20 per year to use it. It is the best £20 I've ever spent! You will really need to wrap up warm because it is a bit exposed out in the middle of nowhere. You will probably see an extra couple of magnitudes to what you are used to in Mansfield.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest Meteoriot
Hello, welcome to EMS. That's a nice first scope you've got.

Enjoy the forums and dark sites.

Why thank you lol

Its actually my second scope :P

Guest Meteoriot
Yes, welcome to the local group as well Richard :) .

When there is another meet at Belper, you could follow me down there. It is mostly for observing sessions, but sometimes there are meetings inside the clubhouse. If you have a read at the the post entitled "Belper Friday 4th Jan 2013" you will see that it is currently a bit waterlogged, so we didn't go...

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/3411-belper-friday-4th-jan-2013/page-2#entry38066

I'm sure it will soon be usable again though. On a good night the sky can be wonderful at Belper. Come and have a look for free, and then if you like it, pay £20 per year to use it. It is the best £20 I've ever spent! You will really need to wrap up warm because it is a bit exposed out in the middle of nowhere. You will probably see an extra couple of magnitudes to what you are used to in Mansfield.

Cheers,

Pete.

Sounds great thank you for the offer. I am sure it will be really helpful.

Ill keep an eye on the updates.

You're welcome Richard. I'd offer you a lift, but with all my tackle in the car, you'd be hanging on to the roof :D .

Guest Tweedledum

Hi And welcome to EMS, another mansfieldite.

If you do not have  planetarium  software try here  :   http://www.stellarium.org/  not only is it  a great piece of software it is also free, and has lots of functionality including being able to control the goto on your scope. If you have not invested in a star atlas have a go at 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas'.

Cheers

Hi Richard, a warm welcome to EMS.

When we get good sky at Belper, it can be difficult to leave, the Sun has put an end to some sessions, but they were fantastic.

Congrats on the scope, and I look froward to meeting you soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Guest Meteoriot
You're welcome Richard. I'd offer you a lift, but with all my tackle in the car, you'd be hanging on to the roof :D .

Haha

thinking about it, I will be picking up my brother in South Normanton on the way. I wouldn't want to put you out of your way. Is there a Sat Nav post code please?

Guest Meteoriot
Hi And welcome to EMS, another mansfieldite.

If you do not have planetarium software try here : http://www.stellarium.org/ not only is it a great piece of software it is also free, and has lots of functionality including being able to control the goto on your scope. If you have not invested in a star atlas have a go at 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas'.

Cheers

Thank you. Yes I have stellararium on the PC and a few APPS on the mobile.

Controlling the scope from the laptop sounds intriguing though?!

Guest Meteoriot
Hi Richard, a warm welcome to EMS.

When we get good sky at Belper, it can be difficult to leave, the Sun has put an end to some sessions, but they were fantastic.

Congrats on the scope, and I look froward to meeting you soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Looking forward to it. I haven't seen a proper dark sky for years! It would be nice to have a late/early night in order to get a glimpse of Saturn :)

Welcome Richard, you've come to the right place, this is a great club with some very knowledgeable and helpful people. Maybe I'll see you on the battlefield some time, (us vs the clouds). Lol. Mark.