• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

what phone ?

cosmic dave

I am due a phone upgrade and was wondering what to go for Iphone or samsung galaxy ?? Or something else? I am going to the three store in Lincoln on Tuesday to pick up whatever I go for, oh and astronomy apps are important to the final decision..

Any thoughts please guys.

I can't really say as my phone is a budget smartphone, but just look at reviews and comparisons using google and you'll get a good idea :)

My iphone 4s is brilliant.

Does everything short of making coffee.

My daughter got the iphone 5 for Christmas, which is very slightly smarter. But be aware that the 5 is not compatible with iphone 3/4/4s docking station/music playing fittings. They've changed the sockets to make you buy new accessories :angry: .

I've had an iPhone and they are okay as long as you don't want to surf the net or do anything that apple have no control over. I have long since ditched it in favour of a phone that gives me full internet access and isn't limited by apple.

I've got no complaints with my iphone internet access.

Just a pity it doesn't have a 10" screen with my eyes :lol: . But it is fine when I put my glasses on.

I've had an iPhone and they are okay as long as you don't want to surf the net or do anything that apple have no control over. I have long since ditched it in favour of a phone that gives me full internet access and isn't limited by apple.

This is my worry with apple :(

I've had both an iPhone 4s and I now have a galaxy S3.

I have to say I prefer the galaxy. The iPhone is easier to get started with, but apple make you jump through so many hoops and tie you down with so much (insert swear word) ~#%>?€$¥+. You can't do any thing with the phone apple doesn't want you to.

The galaxy is harder to get on with initially as it is much more customisable. There are a lot more options available to you at the start so it can be a bit daunting if you're not used to smart phones. But once you get your head around it, it is a lot better I think as you can make it however you want with none of the crap that comes with apple. You just need to give it a bit more time than the iPhone.

My advice would be (if not a Samsung) get an android powered phone.

Hope this helps

This is my worry with apple :(

They say "full internet access" but they aren't. They don't support flash or adobe for instance. Other than that and the fact you can't use anything other than "official" ringtones they are fine. Since swapping to Android though, my phone enjoyment has been significantly increased.

I've also got an older more basic Android phone, and this does everything I want it too, even makes me tea - via text message to Wayne.  ;)   I will be staying with Android, there's lots of choice, you're not tied to one company and I think they're excellent value for money. 

The astro Apps for iOS are extensive though. I personally would go for the iPhone 5. I have the 4S and think its pretty good.

The Apple v Android debate is an awesome one, but there really isn't anything in it. I've had Android, Windows and Apple and they're all pretty good.

The best advice is to go and have a go with the handsets in a shop and go with what you get on with the best.

Typically, Android has a more open system (you can do more with it and customise it) whereas Apple has a far more mature and polished OS which is just easy to use.

Mmmmm food for thought, I'm thinking samsung galaxy at the moment but this could change lol

The Apple v Android debate is an awesome one, but there really isn't anything in it. I've had Android, Windows and Apple and they're all pretty good.

The best advice is to go and have a go with the handsets in a shop and go with what you get on with the best.

Typically, Android has a more open system (you can do more with it and customise it) whereas Apple has a far more mature and polished OS which is just easy to use.

very true. Also worth thinking about is that my android is a lot cheaper on contract than a same spec iPhone. You get more bang for your buck.

Apps on the iPhone work so much smoother. A Mate has the Galaxy and the apps seem clunky and poorly converted in comparison to my iPhone 5 I've never noticed and particular restriction using an iPhone any worries. About flash as in the past most websites have moved on and fully support the iPhone. If you want battery wasting animation and eye catching screen savers then get an android but if you want something that does what it says on on the tin just get an iPhone :D

That's good to know, I've not used Apple or Windows phone, I've only used my now nearly 3 year old diddy Android.

I guess the question and choice is the same as, what's the best car or scope to buy?  Good luck with your decision, and I agree have a look at them and go with feels right for you.  

I've also got an older more basic Android phone, and this does everything I want it too, even makes me tea - via text message to Wayne.  ;)   I will be staying with Android, there's lots of choice, you're not tied to one company and I think they're excellent value for money. 

Wow, Cazz's "Waynephone Galaxy 3S" even has a tea app! Now that's pretty hi tech. ;)

Wow, Cazz's "Waynephone Galaxy 3S" even has a tea app! Now that's pretty hi tech. ;)

Lol, Mines a Sony Ericsson, and Wayne's is an HTC, both now classed as ancient by todays standards, but we don't do new and modern  lol, the vehicles, dog and tech are all knocking on now.  :P

I had a HTC HD2 which happens to be the most flexible phone ever conceived, but only because the custom ROM community on XDA developers did so much with it. That single handset let me try Windows Mobile 6.5, Windows Mobile 7 and every Android build from Froyo to Ice Cream Sandwich.

I even ran Ubuntu on it! :D

I always come back to the same advice, go and try the phone and see what you think.

Another way to look at it... What do most of your friends have? There are apps on Android and iOS that allow some neat interactivity with your friends but they do not work cross-platform.

As has been said above, the Apple app store has a lot of Astronomy apps on it. That was the draw for me.

Ok been to sort the phone out today, walked away the tariffs are far to much :( think the guy in the shop was shocked but I aint paying £36 a month, no way!!

Ok been to sort the phone out today, walked away the tariffs are far to much :( think the guy in the shop was shocked but I aint paying £36 a month, no way!!

This is my level of smart phone and paying out if I were in the market for a new one.  ;)  http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/special-offers/super-value-smartphones?intcmp=HP_Nov_SuperValue?intcmp=HP_Nov_SVS

That is usually the before VAT & additional charges price. I've got an S3 on a£36 a month contract and I actually pay about £50. And I don't go over any of my limits.

The guy at the shop said call them and tell em your leaving em, that way you will get the best price?