• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Castle Donington

Guest bob_Garton

Guest bob_Garton

Hello everyone, finally saved enough for a new scope and had some amazing views with it until my dog knocked it over and messed up the collimation! Made a cap with a hole in it like it said in the manual but I'm having difficulty getting all 3 mirror clips in view without rolling the focuser tube right in. Am I doing it correctly:-) are there any clubs nearby where I can join and gain experience?

Kind regards

Bob

Hi Bob and welcome to EMS.

You are not that far from one of our dark sites (Wymswold) it is only a 25 minute drive from Castle Donington.

Astro baby does a good guide to collimation, that's worth a look, here is the link....

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Give that a try, it's a good guide. Failing that, a more experienced member should be slong shortly,I could try and explain but may waffle on a bit.

Keep an eye on the announcements section for meets at Wymswold, dark site meets are ad hoc so you have to check frequently, mainly at weekends. If a meet is coming up soon and you have not got it sorted, bring your kit and we can sort it for you.

Hope you get it sorted, lets us know how you get on.

Regards,

Daz.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Just another thought, there are a few of us at the Long Eaton school tonight as part of BBC Stargazing live, if you can make that, we could look at your scope for you tonight. Public allowed in from 18:00 hrs.

Hi Bob, welcome to ems, castle donington! that takes me back a bit, it reminds me of the old rave days at the race track. Lol

Hi Rob

A warm welcome to EMS and would be nice if you could make it tonight, lots a folks there who could help

Sheila

Hi Robert,

Welcome to EMS.

Joining a club is definitely something I'd recommend as the first hand advice anc help can make a big difference. We've got our own "club" of sorts in our dark site membership. Dark site members contribute £20 a year towards a kitty that we use to pay for our dark sites, in turn gaining access to both dark sites throughout the year (assuming there are no clashes with other events). We've got dark sites at Belper and Wymeswold, which we alternate between.

The first visit is free to see if you like the us and the venue. :D

If that's not so convenient, I'd most deifnitely recommend finding a local club. We've got a few local clubs linked in our Astro Links section, here: http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/links/

If you need some help, we've got a few members out tonight at the Long Eaton school in Nottingham for Stargazing Live. You could always pop along.

Hi Bob and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

How unfortunate - we just closed our Sawley site - only across the road (M1) from you lol. Anyhow - you'd be very welcome to come try a session with us at Wymeswold or Belper and we'll soon have your collimation sorted no wories.

Enjoy the forum :)

Guest bob_Garton

Hi all and I am very privileged to receive such a warm welcome from you all:-) I wish I could get down to long Eaton tonight but my wife has the car so cannot make that unfortunately. Belper and wymeswold is not to far to come which is a lot nearer than surprise view in Derbyshire i drived up to lately so looking forward to meeting like minded friends for some expertise and laughs.

Kind regards

Bob

hi Bob and welcome to the forum, i work at east midlands airport. the sawley site was just behind the plank and leggit pub, but we now have a couple of better sites although they are alittle further away.

hope to see you there sometime, if your having problems and can`t get it fixed there`s plenty of guys in the local area i`m sure would help you out, i`m fairly close to you in Sandiacre. 

Hi Bob, a warm welcome to EMS.

Collimation seems to be a right mine field, and there are various methods that are good. Once you have the hang of it you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

If it needs attention, give me a ring on 07970 500 302 and I'll see about popping over and having a look for you, Iam only up at J26.

Enjoy the Forum.