• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Skywatcher Synscan Firmware V3.32

catman161

Don't know if this has been around for ages and I am just hearing of it as I got the NEQ6 Pro recently but thought I would share as I haven't seen a thread on it on here. My handset came with V3.27 of the firmware when I bought it recently and I have just flashed it to V3.32.

The link for the firmware and loader is below. Apparently this version has an added polar allignment fucntion which allows the user to polar allign without having to get down on their knees to lok through the polar scope :)

I have not tested it yet but the flash was succesful and I just powered it up and all appears to be working well with the new version. I doubt I will use the polar alignment fucntion yet as I would like to first learn about it the 'old fashioned' way ;)

Link to Dion's video of how to flash your hanset:

Link to EQ firmware upgrade and loader: http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_support.php?class1=1&class2=101

Link to AZ and Dob firmware upgrade and loader: http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_support.php?class1=1&class2=110

Hi Felix, been using the update a few months now! You still have to do a basic Polar align then start up the mount and do a 1-2-3 star alignment. I then take 2 separate stars and re-align if necessary than use the h/piece polar align feature. It's very accurate and as my HEQ5 is on a plinth I only do it about once a month. Good addition though!! 

Cheers

Ron

cheers for that Felix, i`ll have a go at flashing later, that came out wrong didn`t it !

i knew that there was a beta version out for sometime but hopefully all the test have proven ok 

No probs Rob glad it helps :)

Ron?! What can I say?! It's like the scope nights app all over again!! Lol! ;)

where do you get your cable from to do the upgrade ? does it come witht the mount ? not sure i have one although there`s kit all over the house which gets on the wifes t**s

I got my mount second hand and it didn't have one so I got it from astronomiser. I'm laptop didn't have a serial port so I got a serial to USB converter from Maplins also.

My lead came with the mount, when I say a rough Polar Align I mean as close as possible using the polar scope (and I use Polar Finder) then star align as normal.Check and realign a couple of stars then ust the Polar align on the handset. Hope that explains it OK?

Ron

I have a very quick method for aligning accurate enough for observing only:

1. Peg a piece of string out running south to north (using a compass).

2. Place the front leg on it and the two rear legs equidistant either side.

3. Set the elevation on the lat scale.

4. Switch on and type in your date/time/position info.

5. Using the menus - send it straight to an easy to find object (Moon, Jupiter, M42, etc)

6. No matter where it ends up pointing - loosen the clutches and manually point it at the object you sent it to.

7. Tighten clutches on the centered object and bingo - it thinks it's aligned lol.

It'll track dead center of a 25mm eyepiece for 25mins with little or no drift, next object you send it too will only be slightly off so you can correct it with PAE. The more objects and corrections you make the more accurate it will become over a session. Works for me. :)

My lead came with the mount, when I say a rough Polar Align I mean as close as possible using the polar scope (and I use Polar Finder) then star align as normal.Check and realign a couple of stars then ust the Polar align on the handset. Hope that explains it OK?

Ron

That's good thanks Ron

I have a very quick method for aligning accurate enough for observing only:

1. Peg a piece of string out running south to north (using a compass).

2. Place the front leg on it and the two rear legs equidistant either side.

3. Set the elevation on the lat scale.

4. Switch on and type in your date/time/position info.

5. Using the menus - send it straight to an easy to find object (Moon, Jupiter, M42, etc)

6. No matter where it ends up pointing - loosen the clutches and manually point it at the object you sent it to.

7. Tighten clutches on the centered object and bingo - it thinks it's aligned lol.

It'll track dead center of a 25mm eyepiece for 25mins with little or no drift, next object you send it too will only be slightly off so you can correct it with PAE. The more objects and corrections you make the more accurate it will become over a session. Works for me. :)

I like that Kim, no bending down to look through the polar scope :) Although I think I will still use the polar scope so I can get better at it.

If I was imaging or doing high power stuff I'd be a lot more accurate and use the polar scope too Felix. It's just a well suited quick setup for short meetings where I'm observing only. Saves a lot of time flaffing about and gets me observing quickly. :)

I think I ended up doing that last night as Jupiter wasn't in the dead centre I adjusted it manually ever so slightly and it worked exactly like you said :)

Thanks for posting this link.....these video's from astroshed are incredibly useful. 

I need to update my firmware as i'm still on version 3.27 on my mount.

Thanks for posting this link.....these video's from astroshed are incredibly useful.

I need to update my firmware as i'm still on version 3.27 on my mount.

No problem :D

yeah its been down for a day or so now. It was down temporarily in the wee hours of last sunday morning when I returned from the Belper meet but came back online within half and hour. I dunno whats going on with it at the moment. If you PM me your email address Rob I will send you the files they are very small. I have both the loader and the new firmware file and pdf of instructions.

Edited by catman161

Some interesting techniques there. I'm up to date now with the new software, thanks to Felix. Your the man, thanks again Felix. Mark.

Some interesting techniques there. I'm up to date now with the new software, thanks to Felix. Your the man, thanks again Felix. Mark.

No probs Mark, happy to help :)

yeah its been down for a day or so now. It was down temporarily in the wee hours of last sunday morning when I returned from the Belper meet but came back online within half and hour. I dunno whats going on with it at the moment. If you PM me your email address Rob I will send you the files they are very small. I have both the loader and the new firmware file and pdf of instructions.

thanks Felix,

tried the site again this morning at it seems to be up and running again so have now downloaded the files,

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

just noticed when trying the scope out the other night that the new firmware version does not allow the buttons on the keypad to light up any more, i can`t find a setting for this function anywhere, as a result you can`t see which handset button is which or read the lettering on the buttons in the dark.

most annoying, anyone else have this problem or know how to turn the lighting for the buttons back on ?

Is there nothing under "Utility Functions" => "LCD/LED Tuning" menus Rob?

Should have an option for the back lighting on the keys and the LCD display.