• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Saturn of the year.

Guest MakkaPakka1

Guest MakkaPakka1

Luckily Saturn was high enough to see above the houses for me to take advantage of the beautifully clear sky this morning. I was really impressed. I hope to maybe get up earlier to spot her again and maybe some others, but am afraid of setting my alarm too early and encountering nice fog or cloud!

Give it a few months, it will be a night time object, I don't do early morning observing, not unless I'm still awake from the night before.

I saw it briefly this morning but without a scope. Looking forward to march onwards. Really need to try and capture it better this year.

I've only seen it with the naked eye so far. Looking forward to seeing it in my new scope (when ever I get it that is)

Guest MakkaPakka1

Ye, I was up with the dogs this morning so rushed back to have a glimpse. Looking forward to spring time. The wife thinks I'm mad outside in the cold first thing. I think I've got the bug!

28th ofApril this year will be when Saturn is at opposition, all though it is getting lower and lower in the sky each year.

This year the rings will be 42.8 arc seconds across which is the smallest it has been in the last 6 years, but on the up side, the tilt of Saturn is tilting in our favour, last year it was 13.7 degrees, this year it is 18.1 degrees, with the rings being fully on display in 2017.

If you want to see how the rings tilt and when - install "skyviewcafe" - it's free and a cracking little planetarium with lots of interesting stuff. It's not as sophisticated as Sellarium or CduC but sometimes "simple" is sweet :)

Guest MakkaPakka1

Sounds good, do you know if it's strictly for Windows or can you install it on Linux? A litter misty here now so a night in me thinks watching stargazing.