• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

star theroy's live or stargazing live !

Guest june1902

Guest june1902

what are they prattling on about!!, it's all very interesting but b*****r all to do with stargazing in my humble opinion, they got a clearish night for a change and lot's of people turning out with there scopes 

( in the background  :blink:  :brr:  ) nothing to inspire newcommer's to the sport  :D

just theroy's and an obvious unease beetween dara and cox'y as to who get's the most to prattle about

the only helpfull words spoken over the last two evening's were by brian may....with his suggestion that a dobsonion was an easy to use cost effective piece of kit  ;) i want to gaze at the stars not theroize about parralel universes and the big bang !!.........dont show us how to build a replicar 20 ft hershell

show us how to get started and encourage new comers! you cant call a program stargazing live without stargazing live  :facepalm:  what's wrong with these people???

it's john by the way not june if there's any flack ;)    rant over :D  :D  :D

I agree with you. They didn't half waffle on about theories last night. There should have been much mure looking up, especially as the skies were clear.

Guest Ely Ellis

I didn't think so far it was as good as last year, but didn't realise why, however John, I think you hit it on the head.

Totally agree.

Martin

I personally have been very disappointed with it so far and agree with you john. I wish Dara would just shut the hell up!

Guest june1902

:D  :D  :D  thought i wasn't alone!! had to laugh at the way all the observers,leave there scopes and go for a cuppa   :D

staged or what!!......as if they would!

Edited by june1902

Whilst i have enjoyed watching Stargazing live this year i do have to agree with the above comments.

The whole point of this program is to stimulate interest in Astronomy and all they seem to have done this year is waffle on about theoritical stuff and do very little of the practical stuff.

The program should keep the viewer entertained and interested and i do not feel that it has this time around.

Totally agree with the above.

I've been very bored with it this year and I'm a relative newcomer. They just seem to cover the same things over and over.

I was excited at the start of last nights as it was clear and thought it was going to be a very different show but it wasn't. I always thought the stuff they discussed was fillers they did as it was cloudy on the night but it seems even in clear nights the show is the same. Very disappointing.

I've only see the first night so far. I found it interesting, but there again I like the physics side of things and I was enjoying the fact that, for once, the talk wasn't dumbed down.

But I thought it was telling that there were a couple of kids in the audience and they looked more and more bored and restless as the show went on. I can't see them being keen to think about astronomy as a hobby!

I think the main 1 hour program should have been the intro bit, with practical demos and interesting 'stuff'. Then they could have a right old waffle in the second 30 minute slot!

They really should balance it up a bit more - 1/3rd demos of scopes, equipment, and setups, 1/3rd actually using scopes in the field to find/see objects and star hopping techniques, and 1/3rd - ok have a prattle about theories and cosmology and stuff. Wouldn't do any harm would it....

It needs to do more to attract a larger cut of the audience into the hobby certainly :)

Agree with all the above, I think this is all planned because they know what the sky is going to be like, CLOUDY!!

Would be nice to put up the dates for asteroid passes and comets this year! 

Edited by Ron Clarke

Guest Kheldar
They really should balance it up a bit more - 1/3rd demos of scopes, equipment, and setups, 1/3rd actually using scopes in the field to find/see objects and star hopping techniques, and 1/3rd - ok have a prattle about theories and cosmology and stuff. Wouldn't do any harm would it....

It needs to do more to attract a larger cut of the audience into the hobby certainly :)

My feeling is by going that way, they will attract more of "us" ... but drive all the rest back to ITV

We've said it every year, this program is not aimed at us :)

Edited by Kheldar

I thought the Sky at Night (sniff) was excellent this evening with the practical session in the garden. That's what they should have had - with a recorded session in the can in case (as expected) it was cloudy.

I quite enjoyed it as an astronomy/cosmology program, but felt there really wasn't enough about setting up and practical stargazing.

As Steve says, some previously recorded observing sessions would have helped foil the typical English weather.

Just the TV. Let's face it, if people got off their ar...m chairs and went to a live event, they are half way there. For the couple of miliion (?) who tuned in, a significant number were there to be inspired. I don't think the TV show did that.

Guest Madatter

Should be renamed starpresenters live, like most tv and radio shows the presenters are becoming more important than the subject.

"I was miffed they never got a go with the 20 foot ,20" scope they made", I know what you mean, me and Sheila were there but the weather was rubbish so it couldn't be helped.

The stuff inside at the University that was setup was good though.

It's Dara that annoys me he's to used to chipping in on panel shows. Not anchoring a program like this. He talks over people and doesn't even understand the delay in transatlantic calls or live feeds. Annoying or what....