• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fri the 22nd March at Loughborough Uni Observatory - CANCELLED :(

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hello,

UPDATE 21/03/13 - Cancelled due to impending bad weather :(

UPDATE 11/03/13:  Finer details on page 2 :)

* UPDATE* - They gave me the worng date it's the 22nd - the Friday!

Following a mini EMS trip to Loughborough University last year, they have asked if we have any members willing to help with a schools event they are hosting on the 22nd March (Frdiay). This is, i think, to coincide with a national science and technology week.

The planning is still in its preliminary stage but they are hoping to have some people, who are able to bring their own telescopes, to set up on the field next to the observatory and talk to people about stuff. If you can't bring a scope but want to share knowledge and flit about then that's great too!

Entrance to the observatory witll be a ticketed event in order to avoid chaos and overcrowding (it's not that big).

The Loughborough Echo may make an appearance so we can perhaps get EMS in the local paper?

I can post more details as and when I get them.

If anyone fancies lending a hand please post below so I  can get a rough idea of numbers for them..

Also do we have any leaflets or promotionl material we could give out on the night? If not I could make up some simple slips with our web address on?

Cheers,

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daz Type-R

• Celeste

• Perkil8r

• Brantuk

I pressume this is a night time thing? If so I could well be interested. If not I may still be interested but would have to look at my workload a little nearer the time.

Friday is much better for me, I will bring the dob.

(Due to the fact it's the only scope I have)

I'm still in! I can bring either the 200p on EQ or small frac, or the imaging rig, I suspect best option is the 200p TBH since that seemed to work nicely at the school.

That will be 2 200P then!

But which is better?..... there's only one way to find out..... Fiiiiiiigggghhhhht! :lol:

Guest wisewoman

Thanks guys,

I think I'll drag my 200P down and maybe my little 80mm goto - though it sounds like a motorbike and I think it's cheating to use it!

I'll bring a good old planisphere as well.

If it's OK with EMS we could drum up some leaflets with our web address and maybe some useful planetarium apps on it? Despite the good old planisphere, I suspect that most of the kids will have smartphones! :D

Melissa

We have loads and loads and loads of fliers that we printed for EMS from the stargazing live we did on Tuesay, I also took my laptop and had Stellarium running.

We are more than sorted in that respect.

We have loads and loads and loads of fliers that we printed for EMS from the stargazing live we did on Tuesay, I also took my laptop and had Stellarium running.

We are more than sorted in that respect.

Not sure how many we have left now as Krys did a stunning job accosting everybody on Wednesday, but I still have the artwork. Martyn has all of whatever is left of them.

No he don't, there was a wad on my scope table so I just packed them up with my kit for future use.

I wondered where they had gone.

I have put one up on the notice board at a large local hospital. You are supposed to pay, but I thought it was more of a charity sort of thing!  :)

I'll do a another when I get chance at another large establishment.

Ohhh that's a good idea, I will stick some up at work, also I'm at the city hospital this week, will do some strategic placement of leaflets, do you think that would be ok?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wisewoman

There has been some publicity for this event and we are mentioned! :)  (Ignore the fact it says Tuesday - the reporter got the day wrong! It is Friday the 22nd!)

257ofuu.jpg

Edited by wisewoman

How did I miss this post! Oops sorry Melissa...put me down. Will we be able to access power? my battery pack is pretty naff, and my HEQ5 chews it up and spits it out lol. I do have Lew's 200p dob, should be able to get that in the car too. What time will we be meeting up and setting up?

Edit: It states INVITED event....how, and who, are they inviting?

Edited by Celeste