• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fri the 22nd March at Loughborough Uni Observatory - CANCELLED :(

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hi Celeste,

Thanks for adding your name. I will be posting times and further details in next couple of weeks.

It's schools that are getting invited:) I guess Phil will be sorting that one out.

Not sure about power - probably wont have access to any.

Have you seen they are doing a SGL thing on 26th Feb at Charnwood College again ?

Melissa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daz Type-R

• Celeste

• Perkil8r

• Brantuk

If you are still wanting more, put me down - I can bring my Nexstar 8SE and I have spare 22A/H power tank - I noticed someone needed one earlier in the thread.

Hi Melissa, yeah i've seen the SGL event, but I have a bit of a problem there. I'm not sure if I can make it, I will try. As for this event, I will be able to make it, I will bring the HEQ5 and my powerpack...but i'm not promising it will work. But I still have the dob :)

Hi - I've volunteered but heard nothing!

I can still come if I'm wanted!  And I have a spare powertank (and my 8SE) if anyone is struggling for power on the night.

Simes, what battery is it you have? I have one of the Maplins powerpacks (car starter) and it's not strong enough to run the HEQ5 properly. It does work -ish, just not properly. We will hear more soon as Melissa said she will post more in a few weeks.

I've got a 7 A/H I use on my scope and a 24 A/H heavy duty one (that's actually powerful enough to start my Range Rover) so should run most mounts!

How old is the power pack Nicky? Mine runs the NEQ6, or HEQ5, or the 300P with no problem. So long as you're not hooking a load of dew control to it as well, it should run your mount fine all night. If I were you I'd take it back and complain of a dud battery. :)

It's about a year old now Kim, only ever used for my mount out in the field. I guess I will have to buy a new one. Urgh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wisewoman

Hi everyone,

Any and all volunteers welcome so thanks Simes :)

Will be sorting out the finer details this week so watch this space

Melissa

Guest wisewoman

OK here is the essential info for all willing volunteers :)

The event is going to be starting  at approximately 7pm but if you want to get there a bit earllier to set up that is fine. I will aim to be there for 6:30.

There is a wooden gate separating the section where the observatory is, from the rest of the car park. It is hoped that arrangements will be made to ensure that this gate is open. All being well you can then drive up to the grey box section ( shown in the second map ) where any scopes and volunteers can gather.

The top map shows you an overview of the site and the second, more detailed map, shows you the observatory (white circle) and a grey box (our set up area) to the left of it.

Bring your own hot drinks etc as there are is not much there including no toilets! :)

At the minute, I'm not sure how may schools have been invited or how many people are likely to be there.

I will try and print some EMS flyers off at work and hopefully a couple of others my be able to bring some too.

Directions to Loughborough Uni : If coming from M1 get off at junction 23 towards Loughborough and you will be on the A512 New Ashby Road. The first roundabout you come to is the one in the below image

SATNAV I think will be LE11 3UZ

2eyzvdi.jpg

2zgcfi0.jpg

If anyone needs more detailed instructions message me.

Is that as clear as mud?

:)

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

Guest mrmorrison

I had no idea Loughborough Uni had an observatory- literally round the corner!

Do they ever let you use it or invite you for a session?

Edited by mrmorrison

Guest devil74

Hi Melissa,

Only just noticed the thread but I am more than willing to turn up and help out. Hope this is ok? Let me know.

Damian

Guest wisewoman

Hello all,

Yes Damian feel free to turn up. I told them that half a dozen or so wil hopefully show up. Feel free to bring scope / binoclulars/ ability to talk to kids :)

Keith - we arranged a visit last year to this observator but alas it was blinking cloudy! Phil has said that after the youngsters have gone we can get a shot at their scope so fingers crossed for fine weather :)

Celeste - not sure what time event will end. As it's youngsters/ teens? I would expect they will have gone by 9:30ish?

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

Fingers crossed it's clear. I'm still planning on being there :thumbsup: (really must start thinking of a new set of targets)

Guest Simes
Loughborough, UK

Thursday

Mostly Cloudy

partly_cloudy.png

°C | Â°F

Precipitation: 0%

Humidity: 70%

Wind: 13 mph

Temperature

Precipitation

Wind

Might be OK for Thursday...

Simes, this is a school organised event....we can't change the day. It's not looking too good at the mo, hopefully the forecast will change and we will have a crystal clear night (well I can at least hope haha)

Guest wisewoman

I shall have a word with Phil and get back to you all on the weather / event front ..

blumming typical!!

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hey everyone,

Sadly, it has been decided that the outside event  will be cancelled. Phil at the observatory is still going to be on hand to give a talk inside the observatory to any brave schools that turn up.

I have said that if it does become beautifully clear (always a chance I guess) then I may go down after all I only live about a mile away. I know that many of you who were good enough to reply, live much further than that.

It is hoped that there will be more events in the future and I'm sure we may get called upon again. So watch this space (as well as outer) :D

Thanks again to everyone who was willing to donate their time and knowledge but we have been foiled by the weather - this time...

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

It's a shame, IF the forecast changes I will still be up for it, but it isn't looking very good at all :( heavy snow most of the afto, then into the evening and on all night :( snow showers all through Saturday too....SUCKS....I hate snow. I hope the kids aren't dissapointed.