• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Hayley in Derby

Guest Hayley

Hi everyone,

Now that Stargazing Live is done and dusted I finally had a minute to join the forum. Thanks to all of those who came along to the events at Long Eaton School, it couldn't have been so successful without you!

I became interested in Astronomy when I was small and eventually studied astrophysics at university. I didn't really do any practical observing with a telescope though until I was in my late teens. I became more interested in practical astronomy while I was at university and after graduating got involved with observatory at Nottingham Trent. I started teaching physics and wanted to bring astronomy into my teaching and eventually ended up running the school observatory!

I still feel that I have lots to learn, especially so that we can use the observatory to its full potential. I have hardly any imaging experience but am really keen to branch out into this. We have brought some nice kit (CCD camera and filters) for the observatory but we haven't done a lot with them yet. I plan to change this in the coming months! 

Hayley

Hi Hayley, welcome to the forum, we usually say ask what and who you want but it might be the other way round with you I suspect!   :)

Ron

Hi Hayley, a warm welcome to the forum.

It was a good couple of nights, and you did a great job of organising it all.

Any questions you have, post them in the beginners section, and they will be answered with timely and sensible answers.

In the mean time, put your feet up for a bit and enjoy the forum.

Hi Hayley, welcome to EMS.

Thanks for letting us join in with the stargazing live, I could only make the Tuesday night but loved every minute.

Enjoy the forums.

Hi Hayley and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Though I wasn't involved on this occasion I'm glad EMS members were able to help you out for Stargazing Live. By far the best way to get involved in a practical sense is to join in with group observing and imaging.

Several of our members are really quite expert and it would be nice to meet you at one of our observing sessions where you're free to use equipment and ask as much info as you need. Between us we can answer most stuff on the practical side - but you may have to be the resident astrophysics expert I'm afraid lol.

Keep an eye on the Info & Announcements section for EMS Meets - especially on a clear weather weekend. Meetings can be arranged and cancelled at very short notice due to conditions. Meantime enjoy the forum and look forward to meeting you soon :)

Hi Hayley and welcome to EMS!

I hear the event was a great success, even with the adverse weather on the first day. :)

welcome to the forum Hayley, and Tueday night went well i thought, apart from the foul weather of course, lots of people asking questions about the scopes, and the schools setup was very impressive.

Hi Hayley, welcome to EMS. I am looking forward to tapping your expertise. Astrophysics and physics in general are mindboggling (to me) but immensely enjoyable subject matter :) I'm currently trying to read a book that is a kind of idiots guide to the basics of quantum mechanics-I find I have to read then re-read each page for it to sink in!

Hi Hayley.

Enjoy your time at EMS. With credentials like that you're going to be the forums own Brian Cox :)

Hi Hayley, welcome to the forum and thanks for allowing us to help out on tuesday, hopevwe didnt out too many folks off.

Hoping to see you at a dark site meet sometime and let me know when your thinking of getting rid of the 3" Broadhurst clarkson :-)

Welcome to EMS Hayley, we are a great bunch with a wealth of experience between us, which has now got even better thanks to you.

Anything you need to know just ask.

Thanks for all the welcome messages everyone - this seems like a really friendly and knowledgeable forum, I'm glad Mike told me about it. I will be bugging you all with lots of questions I'm sure!

I am happy to try to answer any astrophysics questions - I certainly don't consider myself an expert though, even after studying at university you only really scrape the surface, it's such a vast subject. I am quite interested in exoplanets and am going to have a go at plotting some light curves with the 16".

I tried it once before on a 14" but we had a power cut before we had finished taking the data - I was too demoralised to start again that night! I could post my results up on here if people are interested.

That would be smashing thanks Hayley :)

We sometimes get folks doing that kind of thing at Kelling star parties - it allways creates interest.