• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M101 from tonight 11.01.2013

Graham

Tonight was the best night of the year so far.

Clear sky with no moonlight.

Decided to have a go at M101.

Pushing my poor old 350D to its limits on noise I decided to go for 5 min subs.

Despite a late start due to family commitments I managed to grab 57 subs before the cloud and snow drove me to admit defeat.

Its strange how much we are prepared to endure for our hobby.

As the target was just above my chimney I forgo the comfort of heat and left the fire unlit.

I ended up sitting in my freezing cold living room drinking copious amounts of steaming hot tea to try and keep warm.

It would seem my old mount was suffering from the cold as much as I was as I only managed to sort out 23 usable subs.

The processing was a very rough and ready affair due to me still thawing out and suffering from a total lack of sleep.

I am posting up a link to the auto save for any one who wants to have a bash at it.

Helios 200 Newt

Cannon 350 D unmodded

23 5 min subs at ISO 800

Stacked in DSS.

Processed in PH 6.

For anyone who wants to have a go at processing this :- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86628910/AUTOSAVE%20FILES/Autosave%20m101.tif

101-2.jpg

Thanks people.

I am going to have another look at this now I have had some sleep and thawed out.