• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Polar scope drama!

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger
Guys,

A while back I purchased an HEQ5 Mount from RVO. The reticule in the polar scope has slipped well out of center while I was following instructions on how to properly zero and I cant re adjust. Is there anywhere I can bring it in order to get it zeroed or is there an easier way?

I was originally following some online instruction but its a little more complex than made out on video!

Many thanks

Rick.

Rick.

using the 3 adjusting screws set the polar scope roughly in the middle so all 3 screws have about the same length protruding from the mount.

Now I am assuming you are using a tripod.

Set the rig up in such a place where you can see a TV Ariel , the closer the better as it means less faffing about in the next step.

Undo the DEC clutch and rotate the OTA to open the polar scope aperture in the front of the mount. Lock it off and leave in this position.

Undo the RA clutch and rotate the OTA until it is horizontal. ( IE weights one side of the mount OTA the other ) lock off in this position.

Using the adjustment on the tripod legs carefully tilt the angle of the tripod untill you can see the TV Ariel through the polar scope.

Be very careful the rig does not tip over. ( hence why I said a close TV Ariel )

Once you have lined up the cross hairs on a point on the Ariel ( I find the end is best ) make sure the tripod cannot move from that position.

Undo the RA clutch and rotate the OTA through 180 degrees.

Lock off and look through the polar scope and you will see the point you chose on the Ariel will have moved.

Slowly using the 3 adjusting screws move the cross hairs back towards the Ariel.

Only move it half way back. ( very important point )

Once you have done this realign on the Ariel by moving the tripod.

You can fine tune using the azi and alt bolts.

Then it is a case of repeating these steps untill you can rotate the OTA back and forth  without the cross hairs moving off the Ariel.

If you are uneasy about doing this with your beloved scope on the mount remove it and the weights before you start it will make no difference to what you are going to achieve.

Hope this helps.

It is really dead easy and should only take you about half an hour.

Edited by Graham

Guest recceranger

Graham,

Roger to all.  I managed to get a couple of hours excellent viewing in tonight.  2 star alignment worked well and I locked onto chosen objects there after with no problem.  Its AP I'm interested in and as the mount is a pro I want to get full potential out of it.

Will keep you posted on my attempt to sort collimation of polar scope.  Your instructions are very clear though so it should be painless!

Thanks mate.  A big help

FAB

Guest recceranger

Felix,

Great tutorial and many thanks. On another point, I see you have a DOB. I am interested in getting another scope and was looking at the C9'25 or Pro 180 MAK. I,m just wondering if it makes for sense to go all out and get the DOB.

It's mainly for GOTO hassle free deep sky visual pleasure as the 80ED will be my scope of choice for AP.

What are your thoughts and experience with the DOB?

Rick

I do like that video Felix - very clever use of a TV arial - I would never have thought of doing that - brilliant thanks. :)

Hi Rick, I also have a dob, I'm just wondering if I read the above correctly, you say you may like a dob for GOTO hassle free deep sky observing, the bit I'm confused on, you can get auto tracking dobs but dobs are mainly manual push and find devices. By that I mean you have to find and track by hand, if you want a GOTO then really a dob is not the choice, the backlash you can get is quite bad. But for observing, you can't get much more bang for you buck than a dob, as the cost has mostly gone on the optics (granted there not super brilliant but good for observing), I have had mine for just over 2 years and I love manually finding dso's.

Hi Rick, I need to update my signature and change it to 200P Newtonian really. I did buy the 200P in its original form on Dobsonian Mount. I now have the NEQ6 Pro Synscan goto mount. As Darren says Newtonian telescopes when mounted on a Dobsonian type mount are more manual "push to" scopes. You can get full goto dobsonians-Brantuk has one in fact. As far as the Newtonian style scope goes for visual and deep sky objects, I highly recommend it. Generally speaking the bigger the primary mirror the more you are going to see of deep sky objects. So if you do go for a Newtonian telescope to mount on an EQ style mount or indeed on a manual/goto Dobsonian style mount get the biggest aperture you can afford as it will deliver much more detail in the eyepiece on deep shy objects as the bigger the mirror the more light they can capture. Hope that helps :)

I do like that video Felix - very clever use of a TV arial - I would never have thought of doing that - brilliant thanks. :)

It's cool video Kim. I found it as I have been visiting astronomy shed alot recently since buying the NEQ6 Pro as the videos Dion had made are just so informative. The only thing is the more videos I watch the more things I see on them that I "need" to buy ;)

Hahaha - I did mention when you first started that it's a spiralling cash drain lol - let's hope you get that new job :)

Another great tutorial there.......does anyone know where you can buy those 3 little thumb screws  that replace the horrible grub alien screws that are fitted as standard on the EQ series ?