• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Connecting a scope to stellarium!?

Guest Meteoriot

Guest Meteoriot

Hi. Does anyone find that connecting the goto scope to the laptop has any advantage? I have a Celestron Nexstar 8se and I am just getting to grips with it, however I am aware you can connect it to stellarium and possibly other programs to take control. Is there a good reason for doing this or is it just a novelty. I also noticed Celestron have a wireless adapter available so that you can use an iPhone app to control the scope. Has anyone tried any of these and can anyone please tell me what the advantages are?

Thanks

Richard

Guest Meteoriot
Remote control of a scope means it can be rigged up for imaging and you can sit in the warm watching the subs as they come in or recording video frames. :)

Thanks sounds good but can you do this wirelessly? Wouldn't you need a cable connecting to the PC and a second cable connecting the webcam (in my case). I would need some pretty long cables lol

You can do wireless connections - I've seen it working but never tried myself. Mines allways been cabled with USB and various adaptors. Active USB cable can give a good 15m-20m stretch and possibly more from mount to pc. And you only need a single cable if you use a hub at the mount end. :)

I used to have goto on a Meade 10" LX200 and thoroughly enjoyed controlling the scope from the laptop. Having a graphical interface (Stellarium, StarMap Pro or similar) allows you to simply point and click on any object on the screen and the scope will just slew to the object. It allows you the ability to slew to absolutely any object, star, DSO, asteroid, comet or planet, in fact absolutely anything that is visible on screen in your planetarium program. You are not limited to the few thousand objects programmed into the handset. The only thing you need the handset for is the initial setup and any manual panning around you want to do.

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi Richard,

Seems like the subjects been covered now, but my 2p's worth.

I use Stellarium for my goto and like Kim says, you get to sit in the warm.

As Pete says, you also have a large database of objects to look at with Stellarium and you know where they are before you send the scope to look at them.

This I found very useful because when my mount is outside on the patio, I have almost a total block to the West. If I pick my targets with the handset, and I don't know where they are, I waste a lot of time and effort to point at the house, using Stellarium, I can see if they are in the West and thus not waste time slewing to them.

Everyone says to learn the skies so you know what your looking for, and connecting Stellarium to the mount is an ideal way to learn. Just look around on Stellarium and you will learn what the object is and where it is, and it only takes a minute to goto it.

Of course, out in the field is a different matter, this means you need to take a laptop with you! (I wish my laptop would run on 12v).

If your doing visual, it is not much of an advantage though, as you still have to go outside to look through the EP, although you still get an idea where to look, but if you were doing it that way, you could just look up the target on Stellarium and then go outside and use the hand controller anyway.

I noticed on another post that you had a problem and needed to re-program your mount due to an error. Well, I have the CG-5 Goto with a Nexstar hand controller and cable. My hand controller uses different software to yours, (different type of mount), but it should be the same cable if you still need to re-flash.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis