• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

High magnification with wide field?

Guest Meteoriot

Guest Meteoriot

Hi. Being a beginner I have notice that the smaller mm lens and higher magnification lens you get also seems to reduce the actual viewable area. I am not sure if there is a name for this. I don't actually mean the field of view but I mean the smaller area of lens you have to look view and I find it quite difficult to line up my eye with the lens and the object with the narrow view. Can you get EPs that give high magnification but also allow a larger lens or viewable area of the lens? If so what would you recommend please?

Richard

I may be talking complete rubbish as I'm a beginner still.

Chances are you are using some plossls, most eyepieces other than them will have a wide viewing area instead of it getting really thin for looking into it like a pinhole, I will let others recommend eyepieces, I use a Baader Hyperion Zoom and it's great but theres plenty of eyepieces to choose

I know what you mean - tiny lens to look through doesn't suit me either. A lot of the cheap end eyepieces do this. You'll need to check through the different makes and types of eyepieces to get a feel of what you're comfy with.

Come down to a session sometime and we'll be able to show you quite a few examples of what's available and you can try some in your scope. I now use TV Radians as a minimum cos you do get a good sized lens to peer through. :)

I get them s/h Eddy - usually around £100 - about the same price as a new Baader Hyperion eyepiece - but considerably better imho :)

Guest Meteoriot
I know what you mean - tiny lens to look through doesn't suit me either. A lot of the cheap end eyepieces do this. You'll need to check through the different makes and types of eyepieces to get a feel of what you're comfy with.

Come down to a session sometime and we'll be able to show you quite a few examples of what's available and you can try some in your scope. I now use TV Radians as a minimum cos you do get a good sized lens to peer through. :)

That'll be super thanks.

Unfortunately I took my scope out last night to get the hang of the hand controller. I switched it on while the power cable wasn't fully inserted and now all I get it error code 0080. I think I have the solution by updating the HC firmware but I need to wait for an adapter to arrive first to connect to the PC. After such a long wait to use it, it's fair to say I was a bit grumpy last night lol

Yeah flashing the firmware will probably cure that :)

Edited by catman161

Guest Meteoriot
Yeah flashing the firmware will probably cure that :)

Thanks. Pretty annoying though that Celestron know about this issue and don't warn you or provide the right cable for rectifying it. Oh well. At least it was on my garden rather than out in the middle of nowhere :)

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear your scope's gone crook.

With regard to eyepieces, I know what you mean. My first 4mm was absolutely impossible to use, as you did have to look through a 4mm bit of glass.

I then got my hands on a second hand Baader 8mm, which although pricey, is considerably easier to use, and much more comfortable.

I also have bought BST explorers, namely a 12 & 18mm. these quality wise are just below that of the Baader's, and I will be keeping them, as the build quality and the view suits me fine.

Have a look at this site and see if it's any help.

http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meteoriot

Thanks. I have sorted the issue with the firmware and had a session tonight.

I have experimented with my 25mm eyepiece and a 2x and 3x barlow and also an Olivon 8-24mm zoom lens.

I still feel like I am looking through a pinhole at times, Although I got some great views of Jupiter when I got it right. Is it true that the zoom eyepieces dont offer the same quality as individual eyepieces? I am looking forward to trying out a few eyepieces if the offer is still open. I dont mind splashing out to a certain extent if it means getting the most out of my scope.

After all... Usain Bolt doesnt wear clown shoes :P

I remember on my first scope (Vixen 102mm f10 refractor) I had a cheap 4mm that gave 250x but the glass you had to look through was about 3mm diameter if I remember rightly. I only ever managed to see through it one successfully seeing more than my 5mm (200x). Rather awkward to use. I am fortunate to now have a 3.5mm Nagler that is much easier. The wide fov is no use on the planets but the moon is a ditfferent matter... :-) Of course the price is a bit different...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meteoriot

I certainly need to try a few eyepieces out before spending any more cash. Fortunately there are knowledgable people on here and at my local observatory offering to help :))