• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Light with ed80 Belper 12/01/13 M42

Perkil8r

Had issues with the mount tonight but managed to get first light with the new ed80. Just 20 x 120sec subs, no calibration.

Very rough and dirty processing as I didn't think it would be up to much, but it seems better than I thought.

Details: Scope SW ED80 Pro, Camera 350D Modded with IDAS Clip filter, Mount eq5 unguided. 20 x 120 sec exp @ 800

Stacked DSS, Very quick stretch, curves, de-noise, sharpen and saturation. No cropping, just straight out of the camera.

Will have a go at processing again in the morning, maybe layer mask the core and false luminence just to see how far I can pull the data.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88780247@N07/8374264461/'>8374264461_d0dd4bd215_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88780247@N07/8374264461/'>ed801stlight by http://www.flickr.com/people/88780247@N07/'>Perkil8r, on Flickr

Woohooo Mike - that's one giant leap in AP for you - all that practise with the ST80 has really paid off. Beautifull pic with loads of detail and colour. I knew you'd come good with the right gear. Excellent image :)

(Don't wanna rush you but it's about time you started guiding longer exposures - your fab skills wasted without guiding lol)

I'm really happy with the new scope. I can see a big improvement already. TBH this image is never going to be cutting edge, but for how little data, I feel it's better than the 6 hours worth I had previously with the st80. The colours are a lot better, and it just seems to be in HD by comparison. I will have a decent go at processing this later this afternoon, I'm sure I can do a bit more with the data yet. For a first light effort at -3 degrees and a mount that wasn't playing ball and intermitent mist/cloud I think this shows the potential quite nicely.

Thanks for the kind comments, and most of all, thanks to Sheila for the loan of the bit to botch everything together :)

Awesome Mike, considering that you have few subs, and shed loads of high cloud.

The future looks bright!..... no, really.  :D

Guest Tweedledum

Mike,

Looks really good, have done a small amount of processing on the file. Drop me a pm with your e-mail and I'll send.

Cheers

Mike

what a great start with the scope.  if this is the start can't wait to see more, but would echo kim, what about guiding mate...the images would be awesome :D  :thumbsup:

Good stuff

Sheila

I'm really happy with the new scope. I can see a big improvement already. TBH this image is never going to be cutting edge, but for how little data, I feel it's better than the 6 hours worth I had previously with the st80. The colours are a lot better, and it just seems to be in HD by comparison. I will have a decent go at processing this later this afternoon, I'm sure I can do a bit more with the data yet. For a first light effort at -3 degrees and a mount that wasn't playing ball and intermitent mist/cloud I think this shows the potential quite nicely.

Thanks for the kind comments, and most of all, thanks to Sheila for the loan of the bit to botch everything together :)

you welcome Mike, you know me got loads of stuff in tow....glad it helped.

Sheila