• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How the hell!

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

Just a question on set up. I am looking to use my ED80 SW and D3000 for AP but haven't the foggiest how to put it all together.

my scope came with a T Adapter, another weird piece to do with mounting a camera and I already purchased a Nikon camera mounting ring that screws on in place of the lens but neither the scope or accessories have any instructions?

Also, without breaking the bank (I'm a soldier not an officer!) what sort of guide equipment would suit my set up.

sorry for being a pain guys but I have got the bug!

Many thanks

Rick

Erm.......... can you post pics of the bits you have? Or links to pics of the bits you have with a bit of info? I got mine this week, but I bought the bare minimum, IE scope, rings and that was about it.

Usually the T-ring will screw onto the T-adaptor. But as Pat says it depends on what type it is - any of these?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors.html

For around £50 you'll get an ST80 to guide with - and a webcam can be used quite effectively as a guide cam for it - check out the Philips SPC880. You'll need a webcam adaptor to fit it in the focus tube. Some folks use a "side by side" mount bar arrangement - or you can get guide scope rings to fit the guide scope on top of the imaging scope.

What mount do you have? Cos weight and stability are important here as well as guide cam feedback to the mount. Use Phd (free guiding software) to keep it cheap. Hth :)

Guest recceranger

Hey guys,

I will post some photos of the bits and bobs, but its basically a camera ring adapter, a 1.25" focus tube adapter anda camera T Adapter. My mount is a HEQ5 with an ED80 for AP.

Just not sure how it all comes together. Sky Watcher are a bit thin on instruction for their products!

Thanks a mill

Oh ok HEQ5 is fine - it'll take the ED80 and guide scope and cameras either side by side or piggy backed with ease. All we have to do is sort out the bits and getting it all joined up for you - it'll be a doddle :)

Snapping away and processing though I'll hand you over to an imager for that lol

Guest recceranger

Kim,

Thanks for that. I have ordered a few bits from FLO online. Will attempt to put it together but will probably end up pestering you for advice!

Cheers for your patients.

Rick

I used a 2" pushfit to T2 thread adapter from FLO, and my T ring onto the camera. On my ed80 (new version) I could not get to focus, the drawtube wasn't long enough. I have ended up using a 50mm T2 extension tube.

Guest recceranger

Mike,

That's exactly what I recently purchased and I am good to go.  Now all is needed is a clear sky to allow a bit of practice.

Cheers mate