• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cumbrian in Derby!

Guest MoonMan

Guest MoonMan

Hello there

I've been reading the boards for a while and wanted to mention my welcome :)

Astonomy has always been an interest to me and have decided to make it a serious hobby. Looking at the stars just reminds you every time how size is only relative to the observer in the concivable universe.

I moved to Derby in 2005 from Cumbria to which has some amazing skies as well as scenery.

My main equipment consists of a Celestron scope and a Canon EOS which I've been lucky to obtain, so just planetary observations but would love to see a Galaxy when a better scope is needed.

I'm only a beginner and willing to learn from others and intend to visit some Dark Sites etc in the future ;)

Hope to see you out there boys and girls

Chris

Hi Chris,

What scope do you have specifically? You would be surprised what you can see even with a small scope. :)

Welcome to the forums! :)

Guest MoonMan

Hi Craig,

It's a Celestron 114 AstroMaster with some filters.

Just the back garden so far but made some good views of the moon and other planets

Edited by MoonMan

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Hope you enjoy the forum and you'd be very welcome to join us for a session at one of our dark sites where we can show you any type of object you like through a variety of scopes. You'll get a good feel for what takes your fancy.

Cumbria has beautiful skies indeed - we camped at Keswick a couple of years ago and the views in our scope were amazing.

We get together at either Belper or Wymeswold weather permitting - keep an eye on the Info and Announcements board (EMS Meets section) mostly at the weekends for the next meeting. Look forward to seeing you soon. :)

Somebody may correct me, but I would think you can see andromeda using that scope. That would be another galaxy. :D

If you head to one of our meets, you will find lots of folk are only too happy to show you stuff through their kit. You will most definitely see a galaxy then.

Guest MoonMan

Hey

Thanks for the warm welcome ;)

Cumbria has its own listed Dark Site @ Ennerdale in the north lakes, which is one of the best in the UK so I've read.

In regards to looking at DSO that would be swell and deffo a first for me.

I'm free most weekends and ill keep an eye out.

Hi Chris, a warm welcome to EMS.

If you want to see a galaxy, then a pair of Bino's would do very well for M31, the Andromeda Galaxy. it's on it's way down now, but is still in the sky.

If you don't already have it, download stellarium, it's great free software.

http://www.stellarium.org/

In the left hand side of the control panel you will find the search function or press F3, and put in M31. that will guide you to where you can find it.

If you don't know you home coordinates, have a look on Google Earth for your house. The coordinates are at the bottom of the view screen.

Any questions feel free to ask away in the beginners help section. It's not just for beginners, it's for all questions, including mine!

Enjoy the forum.

Guest MoonMan
Hi Chris, a warm welcome to EMS.

If you want to see a galaxy, then a pair of Bino's would do very well for M31, the Andromeda Galaxy. it's on it's way down now, but is still in the sky.

If you don't already have it, download stellarium, it's great free software.

http://www.stellarium.org/'>http://www.stellarium.org/

In the left hand side of the control panel you will find the search function or press F3, and put in M31. that will guide you to where you can find it.

If you don't know you home coordinates, have a look on Google Earth for your house. The coordinates are at the bottom of the view screen.

Any questions feel free to ask away in the beginners help section. It's not just for beginners, it's for all questions, including mine!

Enjoy the forum.

Cheers for the link :)

Hi chris. Welcome to EMS.

I've got the slightly bigger astromaster 130, and I can easily see M31 (andromeda galaxy) from my city centre (nearly) garden. So you should easily be able to see it with yours from a dark site or even your own garden.

Enjoy the forums and dark sites (if you choose)

Toby