• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from snowy Skeggy

Guest Turtleboy

Guest Turtleboy

Hi guys.

Just thought I'd introduce myself and say a quick hello. I've been looking through the internet in the hope of finding a local club and found this one just in time to miss the last meet :(

Oh well, not to worry. I've always loved looking at the night sky but never really got aound to learning what I'm looking at other than the basics. I'm pretty sure I can point out the moon on a clear night but I don't want to brag or owt. ;)

Never had any kind of equipment other than my own 2 eyes and a rather meak pair of pocket size binoculars more suited to the opera (not that I've ever been obviously, being a big butch Yorkshire lad from a mining town) than astronomy.

So I decided it's probably time to buy a scope and get stuck in. After doing a bit of research and hearing horror stories of the cheaply produced junk on ebay I decided to stick with a good reputable brand and I've just bought a rather modest 4" MKT. I did consider a Skywatcher 150 or 200p refelector but my arms are way too short and my pockets too deep, plus portability is quite a high priority. Hopefully it's enough to spark my interest, although I do understand it's limits when looking for DSO's (see I'm learning the lingo already) It's the Celestron 4  on the GOTO mount, which should make finding things a bit easier to start with, although I don't want to rely on it too much because I want to actually learn to find my way around.

I'm so new to all this I've still got my wrapper on but I'm looking forward to learning as I go. So I'd like to come along to your next meet if that's ok, and if someone can bring scissore that would be great. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin welcome to EMS.

We have a sister group called ELAC who meet at Gibralter Point in Skegness I'm sure one of it's members will be around soon to tell you all about it.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Btw you are our 400th member so well done, no prizes though  :lol:

Hi Martin and welcome.  We are a friendly bunch and you would be more than welcome to join us at our next meeting at the Gibraltar Point visitors centre car park. We meet there once a month which usually but not always coincides with the new Moon.

The next one is on 9th Feb.  

Check out ELAC meeting dates on this forum to find out when or just ask.

Guest Turtleboy
Hi and welcome! :D

Love the avatar! :lol:

What PC gaming are you into?

Scary thing is the avatar actually looks just like me. :lol:

With regards to gaming. Currently alternating between C.O.D Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim. I'm more into the RPG type stuff than the shooters if I'm honest.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, I'm also an ELAC member. Pity you didn't join last week, we had a really good night last Saturday at Gib point NNR!!

Never mind, hope to see at the next meet (9/2/13) I'm also a goto user!

Ron

Guest Turtleboy
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, I'm also an ELAC member. Pity you didn't join last week, we had a really good night last Saturday at Gib point NNR!!

Never mind, hope to see at the next meet (9/2/13) I'm also a goto user!

Ron

How are you finding using it Ron. I've read varying reviews from people hating it to absolutely loving it.

Don't pick mine up until the weekend so I'll have to wait and see.

Scary thing is the avatar actually looks just like me. :lol: With regards to gaming. Currently alternating between C.O.D Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim. I'm more into the RPG type stuff than the shooters if I'm honest.

I've played both, though the Modern Warfare series is getting a bit tired these days.

I'm an avid RPG fan, have lost alot of my life on Skyrim and others (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc).

Goto can be frustrating at times but I've used it for nearly 2 years and it's served me well!

Guest Turtleboy
I've played both, though the Modern Warfare series is getting a bit tired these days.

I'm an avid RPG fan, have lost alot of my life on Skyrim and others (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc).

Skyrim is simply astounding! :thumbsup:

Guest Turtleboy
Goto can be frustrating at times but I've used it for nearly 2 years and it's served me well!

Thanks Ron.

I know who to come to if I have any problems. :D

Hi Martin. Welcome to EMS.

I didn't think anyone else on here played computer games.

I'm a massive gamer. Mainly driving games (forza) shooters (halo) and RPGs. Loving skyrim at the mo (3rd play through lol) also mass effect and dragon age (not dragon age 2 though. Worst game EVER)

Oh yeah enjoy the forums.

Toby.

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. It will be great to see you next time round, we had a good turnout last weekend. The skies are very dark at gib point you will love it.

David

Hello from a fellow Yorkshireman from a mining town,I'll see you down at gib point sometime. I've got the 5SE and have been very pleased with it so far.

Edited by @ndyC

Guest Turtleboy
Hello from a fellow Yorkshireman from a mining town,I'll see you down at gib point sometime. I've got the 5SE and have been very pleased with it so far.

Look forward to it Andy.

Where abouts in God's county do you hail from?