• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I'm now a second stage.

Doc

Must be before my time, I have no idea what you are going on about........

I believe they are referencing a job role historically linked with certain Indian cultures. The term char wallah was popularised by the movie slumdog millionaire.

I just had my status changed to first stage :)

It means 'tea boy/girl'

I believe they are referencing a job role historically linked with certain Indian cultures. The term char wallah was popularised by the movie slumdog millionaire.

I just had my status changed to first stage :)

It means 'tea boy/girl'

Ahh, never seen the film, does not appeal to me!

When I was in Calcutta 2yrs ago the char wallahs sold from tea urns under tatty tents in the street. The urns were heated by a stack of sticks. The punkha wallahs were servants who did everything else. Amazing how the Indians seemed to continue the tradition that we started in the days of the Rajh. The char wallahs in the big hotels were distinctly different - white spotless uniforms very regimental style with feathered turbans - they had an envious position (to the other 1.1 billion poor people at least) :)

Lol I can just see you in a white uniform and feathered turban Martyn - now where can we get that all from lol :)

Guest Tweedledum

Wasn't their a 'Gin Wallah' in one program??

In Kandy there was a napkin wallah, went round all the tables folding napkins you only had to flinch and bang a folded napkin. Proper job that.