• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M45 with the ST80

andyboy1970

Now that I like Andy.

What with the M42 and this you are really getting that 80 singing in tune.

Keep up the good work.

These st80's are so under rated IMO, I had some really good results with mine. Are you going to take over the baton then Andy?

If you haven't already, I highly recommend flocking it fully and darkening the edges of the lenses, it improved contrast a lot for me :)

Edited by Perkil8r

Cheers guys.

These st80's are so under rated IMO, I had some really good results with mine. Are you going to take over the baton then Andy?

If you haven't already, I highly recommend flocking it fully and darkening the edges of the lenses, it improved contrast a lot for me :)

I took a load of images with the ST80 over a year ago.

I might save flocking for the summer.

Processing can be a bugger though.

I found it a real trial to process the st80 images, the blue took a lot of controlling.

I use a skywatcher LP filter which tends to boost the red channel.

That will help. I don't know which stacking software you use, but in DSS there is a setting to align channels after stacking, that seemed to do the trick very nicely in aligning all of the historgrams. Certainly took some of the pain out of it for me.

I did all post stack processing in Photoshop as sometimes the aligned channels seem grey in DSS.

If you align the channels in DSS when you get it into Photoshop, click Image-Adjustments-Colour Match, then set the bottom slider to around 150 I find that brings the colour back quite nicely. Might be worth a shot? Just makes life easier IMO.