• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Polar scope oddity

catman161

Hi guys,

I took my polar scope apart today as whilst messing around with it I accidentally removed one of the grub screws and the reticule fell down and I had to remove the whole thing to put the reticule back in in the correct way up and get at a screw that in turned too much and it ended up going inside the polar scope!

Once I had removed the polarscope from the mount I discovered that the thread inside the mount that the polar scope screws into is full of what I can only describe as MUD! There is some on the polar scope tube (not the optics) too.

Should I clean all of that mud from inside the thread out?? How did it get there in the first place?!

If I remove the mud with a bottle brush should I then grease the inside with some sort of bike/mechanics grease?

Thanks

It looks more like the chinese gunk they lubricate these mounts with felix - unless you are positive it's mud - I'm sure you'll be able to tell just by finger feel. This is why some folks totally strip their HEQ5's or NEQ6's down and regrease. Never done it myself though .... yet lol. :)

It's brown in colour and hardens up in the cold.

Nice one thanks Kim. I may remove it and re-grease as its annoying knowing it's there now! What would be a good grease to use? I presume one that can withstand cold temperatures?

I'd go for silicon or lithium grease which has similar properties - heat and cold resistant - good in moist conditions - protects and lubricates etc. I think the Chinese use takeaway cooking oil or something similar lol :)

Certainly looks like the crap grease they use, might even have a bit of sand from the casting mixed in.

I use white lithium grease with a touch of 3 in 1 oil mixed in.

Much better and you will certainly notice the difference in your mount.

Certainly looks like the crap grease they use, might even have a bit of sand from the casting mixed in.

I use white lithium grease with a touch of 3 in 1 oil mixed in.

Much better and you will certainly notice the difference in your mount.

Thanks graham, do you know where I might get some? Also can I just use a bottle brush to remove the existing crap?

Teflon based grease or Ptfe based takes my vote if your stripping and regreasing a mount bearings and drive.I have a tub of triflon which i had ages ago, dontvthink its made anymore, works well and smells luvly

Ooh I don't think I have the confidence to strip it down Phil. I just don't like the idea of that gunk where the polar scope screws in!

If you go to a push bike shop, they sell performance grease, I forget what it's called, but it should be white.

I have a small tub of the stuff, and will get a small pot over to you if you can wait.

Felix what you have to think about is all that crap came from inside your mount.

It is in the bearings and needs to come out.

Mounts are not as complicated as you might assume.

If you want I can talk you through it step by step via pms.

Astrobaby do a brilliant video series on doing this.

Bite the bullet and get it done it will save you a lot of grief in the long run and your mount will love you for it.

Hmmmm I am still very scared of doing that! I might take a look t the videos and see how I feel then maybe drop you a pm if I am feeling brave!

If you go to a push bike shop, they sell performance grease, I forget what it's called, but it should be white.

I have a small tub of the stuff, and will get a small pot over to you if you can wait.

Thanks Martyn, I will have a look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the offer of the grease but I will Si a but more research into mount stripping before I actually go for it! :)

Cool thanks Pat. I think I may pay someone to strip the mount an clean/regrease for me as I have had a read and I do not have the tools or the skills to undertake the task myself!!

Cool thanks Pat. I think I may pay someone to strip the mount an clean/regrease for me as I have had a read and I do not have the tools or the skills to undertake the task myself!!

Felix I will quite happily do it for you for nothing if you want.

It will probably cost a small fortune in postage though.

Hi graham, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it at some point if I have any problems with the mount but at present it seems to be working fine.

Very kind of you to offer but I think I'll hold off for a bit. If I have any problems you'll be the first I speak to cheers :)