• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings!

Guest Crifter

Chris.

This is what we are all about, everybody has different amounts at which they can afford astro stuff, life has to come first, if £40 was your limit, we would of advised you of the best kit that £40 could get, no snobbery on here!!!

As for the scope, I have had a look through one, a few people on here have owned them and upgraded and for what it is, a good scope to get you started.

Simple controls (once you get the hang of it), which does require a basic knowledge of the night sky as you have to do a 2 star alignment first, other wise the scope has no idea where it is!

With that, cracking views of the moon, good views of the planets and brighter DSO's will show up, but you will struggle with the fainter DSO's due to it's size.

A good scope to start you off, or another alternative, just to make you think even more is this..........

£290 with an 8" mirror but no GOTO, everything will have to be found by hand....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

You will see just about everything with that, not everything, but close.

I have this and I love it!!!!

Edited by Daz Type-R

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daz Type-R

• catman161

• Brantuk

• BAZ

Yup - the 127 Mak is very nice for planets, moon, and with the appropriate filter (Baader Solar Film) it'll show you sunspots. You can of course view all sorts of objects with any scope but this one does solar system stuff particularly well cos it has a long focal length and slow f-ratio. But as Martyn points out - the fainter stuff requires a larger aperture scope. It's a great starter scope though and it'll keep you happy for a good year or so.

Bear in mind a lot of the budget goes into the electronics with a goto scope - for a similar price you can get a manual scope with a much larger light grab - so it's always a bit of a compromise between optics and electronics. :)

Bear in mind a lot of the budget goes into the electronics with a goto scope - for a similar price you can get a manual scope with a much larger light grab - so it's always a bit of a compromise between optics and electronics. :)

Like what I have suggested above.........

Ooo, im quite liking the dobsonian as well!!!

Grrr...

Ha ha, the joys of astro purchases.

It's at this point I would like to offer some more advice.

Get yourself (if you can) to one of our meets before you spend your cash, that way you can see all the different scopes and get to try them out, nobody minds you having a look (not unless people are actually imaging at the time).

Also, we have 2 EMS loan scopes, 1 is very similar to the 127 I believe with a GOTO mount, the other is more advanced, a 200P (8" mirror - reflector, like mine) but on a fully GOTO HEQ5 mount - very good mount - expensive though, the mount alone is more than your budget but at least you will get the idea with aperture etc.

I believe you can borrow one for a week or so, weather permitting, try it out and see what you like, but I would say turning up to a meet is the best bet.

Happy hunting.

Guest Crifter

Well, after some discusion with the other half me thinks we'd prefer the 200p Dobsonian.

Her words being that

'I think we'd get bored if we just hit a few buttons and the scope did the rest, and it'll be more interesting for millie 'our daughter' if we have to learn the sky'

So its looking like Doby has been penned onto the top of the shoping list.

Next up, accesories....

???

Awesome - nice one.

Accessories, check my signature at the bottom of this post (if viewing on a PC - wont show on the mobile version of smart phones and Tap-a-talk etc).

The only down side to the dob is that (in my and many peoples opinions) is that the base is not that good, nothing wrong the the telescope, that's spot on but the base is hard to control due to the nature that Sky Watcher has used to put it together but that can be sorted relatively easily and with little expense.

One thing that is not on my signature is a good sky atlas - this is invaluable when finding things in the night sky by hand, the most popular choice (and rightly so) is this......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358504159&sr=8-2

I have one as do many people on here.

Another fantastic book.........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358504200&sr=1-1

Will expand a little further with regards to accessories, just in case you cant view my signature.....

Dew shield.

Dew forms on optics because the temperature of the optics falls below the ambient temperature of the air, getting a dew shield just prolongs the time in which dew will form on the secondary mirror, it will also aid as a light pollution blocker.

Other dew systems will also be required for you future accessories.

Modify your base plate.

Will enable you to move the scope better - guide and explination found below....

Modded base plate (lazy susan bearing). Guide here.

Raci finder

Skywatcher right angled correcting finder scope, not essential but most people upgrade to them.

Telrad

Or some other sort of red dot finder is a must for dob owners, makes finding targets easier.

Collimators

Used to align your scopes primary and secondary mirrors.

EP (eye pieces)

The standard ep's that come with the scope are not very good, an upgrade will be required.

There are a few other things you can do but that will get you sorted for now.

Guest Crifter

I like that lazy susan mod mate, good call on that, il defo have a crack at that when it lands.

looked through ur spec, only things im bit lost on is the collimator...

Collimation is an art that most people find scary but once you have done it a few times, it becomes second nature.

There are different types of collimator, laser and none laser, pro's and cons for both but the basic principal is that if your primary mirror is not aligned correctly to your secondary, then the focus point of the object you are trying to view will not be where your eye piece is, so the object will look blurry.  Very high level and basic explanation there!!!!

A collimator will align the 2 mirrors, I would say one is a must for us dob owners, a drop or knock can knock collimation right out.

Good guide here.......

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

If you don't need goto, and you are happy getting to grips with the sky, a dob is a fine weapon, as the money goes towards the glass bit's not electronics.

As Darren mentioned, you would be welcome to come over to a dark site, Wymeswold would be the nearest to you. It's the cricket pitch just outside the village.

You would be very welcome to have a squint through the scopes, and we could help you out getting a head start learning the sky.

Don't feel you have to buy a scope before you come, it might be better if you get a feel for them before committing to one.

Hello! Welcome to EMS. Seems like you've got your mind set on a dob. I'd say good choice. (I don't have one :-(

Just wait for aperture fever to set in. BOOM.

Enjoy the forums.

Toby.

Guest Crifter

Gotta say, thanks for the warm welcome peeps. Thanks for the invites out to play with all of your kit. Iv had a word with the mrs and she'd like to come as well so when the weather starts heading towards the right side of 0 and the sky's are clearing we'll definately be up for popping along and getting our brains melted with everyones tech talk n knowledge.

.......when the weather starts heading towards the right side of 0 and the sky's are clearing..........

When the skies clear it will be most probably below zero! That the best time to get out as the "seeing" will be good! Just wrap up warm and come on down. There is a "warm room" at wymeswold where we can go to thaw out in between observing stints :)

Guest Crifter
When the skies clear it will be most probably below zero! That the best time to get out as the "seeing" will be good! Just wrap up warm and come on down. There is a "warm room" at wymeswold where we can go to thaw out in between observing stints :)

Well if its on the the south side of 0 I may have to leave the mrs at home, she's cold at the best of times, lol

Guest Crifter

Got that stellarium installed and running now, nice program that. any recomendations on iphone apps? Iv already got the starwalk one

Guest Crifter

Right then, I keep shopping and iv made things worse I think in my understandings, and my planned budget. After looking at the toss up between the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO, or a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian, iv stumbled onto another option potentialy...

Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ-5

Thoughts? pro's, cons? I think this is getting harder :o

Nothing wrong with the scope and the mount is sound weight wise but there are no motors on it, so you will have to find and track by hand (I think, somebody please correct me if wrong) you can add motors to that at a later date but that is over your £400 budget which leaves no cash for ep's, due heaters, red dot finders etc etc.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Crifter

Yeah its smashed my budget by quite a bit. And considering I started off thinking more about the £200 mark i feel like a kid in a candy shop :wacko:

But I figure if I get my marine tank sold, and the capri shell I have that should fund the scope and then throw in some overtime when I get payed in 2 weeks which should see me with some more goodies to accompany it. Unfortunately its all pipe dreams at the mo till i start selling stuff... but one can dream

Edited by Crifter

Guest Turtleboy
Yeah its smashed my budget by quite a bit. And considering I started off thinking more about the £200 mark i feel like a kid in a candy shop :wacko:

But I figure if I get my marine tank sold, and the capri shell I have that should fund the scope and then throw in some overtime when I get payed in 2 weeks which should see me with some more goodies to accompany it. Unfortunately its all pipe dreams at the mo till i start selling stuff... but one can dream

I know the feeling well. My PS3 went yesterday. :lol:

One thing you may wish to consider is that newtonians on EQ mounts can put the eyepiece in some funny positions, so you may need to limber up lol.

A good combo though with plenty of potential upgrades.

Edited by T A WOW

One thing you may wish to consider is that newtonians on EQ mounts can put the eyepiece in some funny positions, so you may need to limber up lol.

A good combo though with plenty of potential upgrades.

Can that not be cured with a couple of extra tube rings on the OTA?