• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dark Site?

Guest roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth

Ok, so apparent from an offshoot of Hogwarts, WTF is a Darksite?

Also how does access to them apply to the individual? I am told that for £20 I get a years access to them? Is that just to the Darkside or do I get membership of the EMAS with that?

What is at whymswold? And belper?

And apart from this web linky thing is there a party office which we adjourn to? You know with pumps and optics?

Dark sites are sites that we have access to that have dark skies with minimal light pollution. Both wymeswold and Belper are two places that we all meet to observe and appreciate the dark skies and great views. The land if the sites is rented on an annual basis so those that want to access the dark sites pay £20 and then whenever there is a group observing session organised we all meet up. Also if you wanted to go and observe and a large group were not going then if you have paid your subscription you can go as alone too. It's a bargain really. I particularly like dark site access as I live in the city and the light pollution is terrible. You can see so much more at a dark site :)

First visit is free at the dark sites - if you enjoy the group stargazing and the company then you're welcome to join in with us. We all chip in £20 per year to finance the two darksites, insurance, and one or two other events we put on over the year like star party speakers, Star Gazing Live (2013), and group trip subsidies etc. We run mostly at break even and it's all for the benefit of members - so no profit is made.

You'll find the group very welcoming, friendly and helpful so I think you'd enjoy yourself. :)

Guest roblynmouth

Ok, it would appear that I have my own Darkside, as I live in the wilds of Leicestershire, with little of no street lighting of any concern. I think the local council are planing to switch off the few that we have as an energy saving measure in the next few months. Funnily enough the guy who sold me the scope, lives in the city, and it was the light pollution which was the killer for him. At the moment, N is very good, S has the little street lighting that their is. The next village is a few miles across the fields, so there is a little light that way but they might too see the lights off.

However, the darksites, seem like a good ideal particularly as other hogwarters will be their with their kit to nose over.

Well - there's nothing to lose dropping by just for a recce :)

Are you anywhere near Groby? They've already switched off the main road lights here.

Guest roblynmouth
Well - there's nothing to lose dropping by just for a recce :)

Are you anywhere near Groby? They've already switched off the main road lights here.

Just over the back of yours, Botcheston.

As far as dark site membership goes, I'd say I value the social aspect more than the access to a dark site. :)

The membership is worth it, IMO, purely for the awesome company we keep. Plus, we have coffee, tea, cakes and funny hats.

Hi. I've just registered for the site and would like to know when you have your dark sky night get togethers as I'd be interested in coming along? 

Hi. I've just registered for the site and would like to know when you have your dark sky night get togethers as I'd be interested in coming along?

Hi cass, it may be best to ask any questions (if you have any further ones) in a thread in the beginners section. More people will see it there.

As for meets. They generally tend to pop up very quickly around Thursday/Friday in the "meets" section so it's best to keep any eye on that section of the forum. The threads to organise a meet come up quickly when someone realises that the weather may play ball and are sometimes also cancelled very quickly when we realise it won't play ball. So keep your eyes peeled and get involved :). Would be great to meet you at one of the darksites.

First visit to either darksite is free and after that (if you like it and the members of EMS of course!) you pay £20 per year for unlimited access to both darksites as long as the Cricket clubs are not utilising their club ground of course. Both our darksites at Belper and Wymeswold are both on local cricket fields.

Pop up a thread in the welcome section and introduce yourself and I am sure the ret of the members can help answer any queries you might have :) Welcome to EMS.

Can you advise me where the Sawley Darksite is located please?

It no longer exsists, it was not dark enough, did not get much use last year and is behind a massive padlocked gate which requires a key holder (only 2 people had the keys) so we shut up shop there and moved to Wymswold.

Our other dark site is Belper.

Edited by Daz Type-R

The Sawley darksite was in the car park of the model aircraft club field half way down Warren Lane. It saw little or no action last year due to the weather and about 5 months of renovation work on the power station which they lit up like a xmas tree.

There was no where to shelter or get warm at Sawley and with a larger mix of females in the group now we really needed somewhere with "facilities" (if you get my drift) - plus it was a tad expensive to rent. So we now have sites at Wymeswold and Belper where we have use of a warm room, loos, and presentation areas :)