• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Canon 1100d extras

red dwalf

my Canon arrived today, all i have at the moment is the camera and lens, what other usefull extras would be worth purchasing ?

i know i need a t adapter, seem to be alot on the market so can anyone recommend a good one that doesn`t cost the earth,

also looking for remote timer switch, or does APT software do that for me ?

also looking for a power adapter so i can plug into a battery or mains.

any other help or extras i might need ? 

cheers

Rob

Sounds about it! I still have timer in case I'm out somewhere without the Laptop. Not sure about APT but Backyard EOS has it's own timer on the screen.

Cheers

Ron

APT controls the 1KD fine

I got my remote from China I think  Aputure brand

I also cot a mains to camera adaptor , would prefer the 12v version

• 2 weeks later...

Both APT and Backyard EOS support the camera very well, I personally use Backyard...and have not had any problems with it at all.

As for useful items to to have:

Canon Infared shutter release, these can be bought from the web at a good price, I actually got mine from Argos

2" LP filter for a 35mm extention tube, or something like a EOS clip filter.

If you intend on using the camera with either APT or BYEOS then you will need a good USB cable from your camera, also you will need a Serial shutter control cable, this is needed when running the camera remotely from your PC.

An extra battery is also very useful, can get them third party cheap enough....oh and a good sized memory card for the camera.

All these items can be got from a few Astronomy suppliers.

Marcus

memory card is ordered, a 16gb 45mb/s sdhc, although i think it`s coming from another planet, been a week already, i was hoping it would have been here a few days ago. so much for free postage and packaging

Guest Kheldar

B

If you intend on using the camera with either APT or BYEOS then you will need a good USB cable from your camera, also you will need a Serial shutter control cable, this is needed when running the camera remotely from your PC.

I believe the serial shutter control cable is only required for oooooold cameras to do >30s exposures (300/350?) (Stand to be corrected :))

450/1000/1100 I believe need only the USB cable

Edited by Kheldar

Yep, 12v power connector is a must but you know the most useful accessory I have for the 1000d its an el cheapo ebay 90 degree view finder. It has a mag switch on it which I dont use but you can swivel it so you dont have to get into contortions when trying to frame a shot.

I find it most useful because I can calibrate the mount goto with the camera on the scope and I can actually get to look through teh viewfinder without lying on my back upside down, too old and creaky for that these days :D