• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Brownies

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Right then, heres one for you - my other half is a Brown Owl (Brownies Leader) and they are looking at doing their Stargazing badge in September(ish) time.  Now my thinking is my daughter (also a Brownie at the unit) loves astronomy at age 7 (really its her scope I use at the mo), so would love to keep her interest going PLUS my other half is getting into the idea of me buying a better scope etc. so would love to keep the interest going.

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to come along to a Brownie unit on a Friday night and give a bit of a talk for 30 mins, preferably with some of the awe-inspiring pictures, and maybe with a basic scope if it is a good night to hopefully get 12-14 girls having an interest?

I can provide laptop and projector?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• tuckstar

• BAZ

• Brantuk

I take it would be some where near Codnor?

I would be willing to put something together for you, but don't have any images or the ability to use anything more technical than a biro. It's an age thing.

If anyone else help with the awe inspiring pictures we have a go.

Guest CodnorPaul

yes - would be in Langley Mill - near the new Asda.  To be fair it is a group of 7-10 year olds so I could get the pictures together if someone with knowledge could get a speech together to make them think about their place in the universe (and let me know which pictures they would like).  Doesnt need to be anything to big bearing in mind the age, just something to get them away from thinking Earth is the only planet that may support life...

Came in expecting cakes, left disappointed. :(

On topic... This is a great idea, but I unfortunately wouldn't be of much use. I'm a pure visual observer and still very much a novice by most standards! it sounds like you're after somebody who images and has a bit of knowledge to throw in.

Ask me again nearer the time... Sept is a very busy month for me, but I might be able to help out in some way.

thats the brownies at my Church????  St Andrews Langley Mill?????

Sheila

your Mrs Sarah????

Edited by Sheila

Small world eh!

I would be happy to do a presentation, and if need be continue on going education towards a badge. I'll have to find out what is needed for them to gain a badge.

These are the scope drivers of the future!

Guest CodnorPaul

Brilliant - thank you.  The badge is quite simple to get really and they do it all on the one night - I believe it is just find a constellation, look at the moon (if possible), etc.  The presentation bit is the main thing for me I think - as you say get the interest there and open their eyes a little.  I have all the detail for the badge so no research to do on that bit.

Guest CodnorPaul

Hayley - well that all depends if I can come along too!  Wow a great offer, thank you - partner is out at the moment but I will speak to her when she gets back and get her to contact you through email on this site if thats OK?

• 7 months later...
Guest CodnorPaul

Good evening

Well its getting nearer the time now and my other half has given me a gentle nudge to see if someone (or group of people) would be willing to come and help the Brownies do their badge.  I have read the criteria and it is very basic - point out 2 constellations, name the history of them, look at the moon, find Polaris etc. but I am thinking we could make it a bit more interesting that that!  She is also looking at getting a mobile planetarium to come in to them as well but if we could go through some of the fantastic pictures you lot take, maybe get some telescopes for them to look at/through, and give a basic overview of nebula, galaxies, planets, clusters suitable for 8 year olds that could be great and hopefully get some of them interested.

If anyone is interested in helping out please let me know - am looking at September but could push it to October to fit in with everyone if that is easier?  I will help put it together if required - I present to people all the time in my job but find it harder to talk to a group of kids in the same way???

Oh - and their unit is in Langley Mill by the way

Edited by CodnorPaul

I'm still willing to help, and now I even come with my own CRB check :D

Far be it from me to interfere but if you are considering a mobile planetarium, have a word with Steve (Ibbo) that's what he does ;) He's also very good at night sky tours too...... just an idea ;)

Guest CodnorPaul

Excellent - thanks Mike.  Mrs has been in touch I think with someone local - whats the betting its him?

Will get the dates and interest sorted and get back to you

I don't know much about anything, but I am happy to come along if need be. Depends on the date.

I can bring astronomy books.

We could get some of those model planets and set them up in roughly the distance they are from each other and from the sun.

James

Count me in as well. Also CRB checked as well.

I would suggest getting it to October, as it will be darker sooner, and we can spend more time looking at the sky.

Edit.

Cracking idea James, visual stuff has a lot more impact, and is easier for memory retention,

Just the size and distance scale of the Moon and Earth is a real eye opener.

I reckon Earth - Moon is enough, the distances to the rest are a bit too far to demonstrate very well.

Edit:

I ca also see what we have at school that I can borrow for the night.

Edited by Perkil8r

Have you looked up the Andromeda, Cassiopeia story, I find its very good for remembering the autumn constellations and would fit in lovely with the badge criteria.

I'm not far away and always available on a friday, no good at giving talks but I'll bring a scope and im happy to help if i can, and im crb ( or what ever theve just changed it to!) checked as well. But I'd have to find my certificate.

I don't know much about anything, but I am happy to come along if need be. Depends on the date.

I can bring astronomy books.

We could get some of those model planets and set them up in roughly the distance they are from each other and from the sun.

James

I have a set of planets ( not that big ,ping pong to mini football size) got them for my daughter room but she's only 5 and they scared her a bit, although she can name them all with a little help, proud dad;-)

Any way there there if you think they would be use full.

I was thinking the distance between the planets was interesting for me, not the brownies :)

I also have a CRB for what they are worth.

We probably have some very gifted people who would be up for helping who don't have a CRB, can they still help out? It would be a shame to exclude people who could bring enthusiasm and knowledge.

James