• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Brownies

Guest CodnorPaul

"Look in the night sky and describe what you can see, count how many stars"

Wish I'd had homework like that back then - I would never have gone back to school - and if asked why I'd have just said "I'm still doing my homework" lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• tuckstar

• BAZ

• Brantuk

It is the generosity of people like your self and others that helps to fire that first spark of interest in kids. They seem more ready to accept what amazing things are up there despite them being a faint smudge, their imagination fills in the gaps.

It was my science teacher, Robert Berry, who got me going, and helped by a local astronomer to the school, Mr Alan Heath formally of Trowell Grove, with a massive 12" newt in an observatory. That was a thing of beauty and dreams, way beyond our grasp. ( Also one of the founding members of IDAS if memory serves correctly.)

He did help us to make barn door trackers, which worked a treat, but the cost of film and developing put a hand brake on that. But with Hale-Bop looming on the horizon, I built another to the same plans, this also worked great and gave me my first image of a comet.

So with me banging on about all this, it just goes to show that any effort to point the next generation in the right direction is not wasted.

Iam also available to assist at any event.

Good on ya Paul!