• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi, another newcomer

Guest cass

Hi. I've just registered on the site. I've been interested in all things Astronomical since I was a kid and eventually bought a telescope a couple of years ago (I'm 51 now; don't like to rush into things) from ebay, a Skywatcher 130 reflector with EQ2 and motor drive which has 'never worked'. I've recently been inspired by the Skywatching live shows and have been out observing Jupiter, Moon, Pliades etc. I'd be really keen to come to one of the dark sky meets as it's a bit crap in my back garden and get some good advice on upgrading etc

Steve

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to EMS :)

You'd be most welcome to join us for a session at one of our two dark sites (Belper and Wymeswold). If you enjoy yourself and want to join the "dark site" members group then you'll be given full details on the night.

Keep an eye on the Info and Announcements section (EMS Meets) for the next session - especially at the weekends when they mostly happen (weather permitting).

Meantime enjoy the forum and any questions just start a thread in the Beginners Section with your query. :)

Hi Steve, there are a few of us now!

Enjoy the forum - it can provide a lot of info and if you get along to a meet you'll get your scope pointed in the right direction!

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome from you all. I look forward to meeting you all soon.

I've been looking on Astronomy buy and sell and have found an 8" Helios Reflector on an EQ5 about 7 years old £180. Anyone know much about them ? I know they're now called Skywatcher but was wondering if it's worth buying newer for a bit more cash.

Imho it's a spot overpriced for 7yrs old - the newer ones come with a parabolic mirror which is much better for focusing light - I wouldn't give much more than circa £120 for that - and it would have to be mint. Altogether a better idea to extend the budget for a new one :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

Cheers for that. I'll have a think although the Helios does have a parabolic mirror. I've not seen any 200mm reflectors on uk astronomy buy and sell,ebay or anywhere else for less than about £200/£250. Is there anywhere else  good to look for 2nd hand stuff.