• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Night clothing

Guest roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth

Ok, so now that I have started, what do hogwarters wear at night whilst spotting. Now by this I mean winter wear, as GB winters can be a cold dark place particularly at night.

From my fishing days, I have a /MusucBag, which is like an Army Tank suit, very warm at low temperatures, mine is rated to -17c and covers you all in one. When you want a nap, you can literally crash out on the ground and be warm, a mat might be best to lie on though, even though it is water proof, it still won't stop constant pressures forcing water in. You can walk in it and your arms are free, it like a pair of overalls with bootees, a hood and gloves all in one.

Underneath, I wear a set of thermals, and my boots (ugg style), that way when you go walking you aren't Lilkley to stab your self in the foot. On my head silk balaclava with a woollen one on top of that. Gloves, this. can be what you want, but silk inners with a leather over glove. I also have a heated pair, but don't use them very often as they are far to efficeint.

Sounds like your suit is like my one piece insulated fishing suit. Really warm, Ive slept in it on a couple of cold starparties, beats a sleeping bag, I top mine off with a Ushanka fur hat, toasty warm. The feet are usually the first to suffer with me so its walking socks and boots

If you aren't warm, you will never be comfortable.

It pays to take more with you, so if you need it, you have it, rather than shivering. As Phil says the feet are the first to go, and if you have cold feet it's miserable.

Fishing gear, and ski gear are good value clothing.

@ Crifter: I wouldn't bother mate. The heated socks and insoles are usually powered by a battery pack, which you have to carry around with you. These only tend to last around four or five hours.

You would be better off paying a bit more for some decent hiking socks, and get long ones to give you the best results.

I use thermals that I normally wear for winter skydiving. At altitude it can be -30 degrees C! The thermals are actually designed for arctic dry suit diving. They are great but if I go into a warm place they make me start sweating quite quickly. On top of that I wear a couple of woollen layers and then my snowboarding jacket. I wear regular trousers, couple of pairs, not tight on top of the thermal trousers and then to finish off wear my snowboarding trousers on top of them.

On my feet I wear snowboarding socks a few pairs. However recently I leant of a state called "critical sock mass" so gotta watch out for that. I don't fully understand it yet, but I think it has something to do with the ratio of sock mass to boot space ;)