• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Are any of the "cheaper" zoom EP's any good?

Guest Turtleboy

Guest Turtleboy

I would love to get my hands on a Baader Hypeion MK111 zoom, and I know a lot of people rate them but at £180 odd they're more than I paid for my scope.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the cheaper alternatives. Skywatcher do one at about the £40 mark, Celestron about £70 and Meade about £80.

I know you get what you pay for but as a newb I'm just looking for an entry level zoom as an alternative to buying several individual EP's. At this stage I'm not sure what I will get the most use out of so a zoom seems like a good place to start experimenting.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Turtleboy

I have two of the BST Explorers, and these for the price are very good value. The price has gone up recently, but still represent money well spent.

I have the 12mm and 18mm, and bought them with the intention of upgrading when I could. In truth, unless I spend well out of my budget, Iam not going to better them.

I have an 8mm Baader and that is lovely, but the BST's deliver a view only just behind it. As they are ED glass, and six element they do very well.

I would steer clear of the budget zooms, they have a very narrow field of view, and I don't think you would be happy with it. I had one which I bought as broken, and was able to repair, but I gave it away as it was awful.

Here's a very good guide which should help.

http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

Guest Turtleboy
I have two of the BST Explorers, and these for the price are very good value. The price has gone up recently, but still represent money well spent.

I have the 12mm and 18mm, and bought them with the intention of upgrading when I could. In truth, unless I spend well out of my budget, Iam not going to better them.

I have an 8mm Baader and that is lovely, but the BST's deliver a view only just behind it. As they are ED glass, and six element they do very well.

I would steer clear of the budget zooms, they have a very narrow field of view, and I don't think you would be happy with it. I had one which I bought as broken, and was able to repair, but I gave it away as it was awful.

Here's a very good guide which should help.

http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

Thanks Martyn. :thumbsup:

Just the job. I'll give it a read.

Guest Turtleboy

I've just been reading reviews of the Seben 8-24mm zoom and they're surprisingly good. I know Seben are generally regarded a cheap Chinese made department store rubbish so this came as somewhat of a surprise. I'm thinking at £46 this could be a good buy at around the same price as a single half decent Plossl if for no other reason than to see which magnifications I will use the most.

Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00663XV8S'>http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00663XV8S

Edited by Turtleboy

I wouldn't myself, it is cheap for a reason, like Martyn says above.......

Personally, I would save your £46 + postage for a few more months and just get some stand alone ep's or a better quality zoom.

Buying cheap kit only to replace a few months down the line really is a false economy.

I used the standard ep's that came with my scope for a year before buying the mkIII zoom, so glad I waited now.

I've heard one or two folks say they are surprised that the Seben zoom is ok - and also the Skywatcher one. But don't expect Baader Zoom performance - they must both be regarded as "good value for money" zooms in the cheaper end of the range. Certainly worth a punt on a second hand one which should be less than fifty squids. :)

to be honest not a great fan of zooms fullstop much prefer fixed f/l ep's

but I know a lot of folks like the Baader

I think of eyepieces for telescopes like I think of lenses for cameras... they're the most important part.

I would also go for as good a quality eyepiece as possible, within my own budget constraints. Even if this was more than I paid for the scope, I'd still do that.

I'd suggest trying some eyepieces at the meets and see what you like. I tried the Baader Hyperion zoom eyepiece and loved it, momentarily, until I started looking through various fixed length 2" eyepieces. I wouldn't go for a zoom now, having used a variety of kit. You'll know what works for you and what doesn't by trying them out, far better than trying to guess based on reviews.

to be honest not a great fan of zooms fullstop much prefer fixed f/l ep's

but I know a lot of folks like the Baader

Here here :)

Guest Turtleboy

The problem is they're so sought after there's not many of them arond second hand and even when there is they command good money.

Just been watching one on ebay and second hand it went for £151 :blink: By the time you factor in the postage you may as well just buy new.

Need to get out and try the stuff I've already got first. Hopefully tonight will be the night. :brr:

Edited by Turtleboy