• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi!

Big Al

I'm Alan, and new to this forum. A returnee to astronomy after many years of family stuff getting in the way. Used to belong to the school astronomy club (back in the dark ages), and I did once have a small newt on a really poor mounting, but loved it all the same. I've probably forgotten everything I once knew. I've not invested in much kit, primarily as my garden has lousy horizons, and the light pollution is a pain. I do have a pair of Pentax 20x60 bins, which I love to use when I have time, and recently bought a sky mirror to save the backache associated with using bins on a tripod. (Why don't they make tripods for tall people?). Looking forward to meeting some of you at a dark site some time, hopefully.

Hi Alan, a warm welcome to EMS.

The Bino's are a great way of observing, and there is loads to see with them.

EMS has two dark sites, one near you, and one at Belper, you would be very welcome to pop along and see what you think. The first visit is free, and then a bargain price of £20 a year for unlimited access to both sites.

Enjoy the forum.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Have been having a nose around the forum in the meantime, just looking to see when the next meet is at Wymeswold (but couldn't see one). Will keep my eye out for this and will hopefully come over (unless I'm away with work).

Alan

welcome along Alan. The darksite meets generally don't get announced much more than a couple of days in advance due to good old British weather. We're not like a lot of groups who meet up and talk about looking at the sky, we're a group who meet up and talk etc WHILST looking at the sky. And there's tea and cakes :D