• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

T Adapter and eyepiece

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

I have a 2" T Adapter which I use for attaching my D3000 to my SW ED80 pro. This is fine as it uses the scope as the lens, but I keep seeing images of close ups of various DSO's and Lunar/Planets etc. how is it done? I assume its a case of using an eyepiece along with the DSLR.

A little in the dark?

I believe people use a Barlow or a power-mate to increase magnification.

Not an astrophotographer though so I would wait for a second opinion.

Your scope has a fairly short focal length which combine with camera pixel size (3872 x 2592)in a 2/3's size sensor is why you get small images.

You will see astro CCD's apart from the vastly expensive ones have less pixels than this and they are larger this has the effect of magnifying.

You will be surprised at how well your images stand up to cropping and enlarging.

Barlows and eyepiece projection doesn't work very well for DSO's.

My Canon 1000d outputs images at 3888 x 2592 and results with very little cropping here on a 400mm scope- http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/3617-the-great-orion-nebula-st80-style/

I thought the 200P was a 200mm scope Andy and your description says 400mm and takes you to the orion pic take with 200P are you able to double it somehow?

I thought the 200P was a 200mm scope Andy and your description says 400mm and takes you to the orion pic take with 200P are you able to double it somehow?

Hehehe, you've not read it correctly - Title - The Great Orion Nebula ST80 style, the 200p & QHY5 are guiding it.

It was taken with my ST80.

My 200p is 1000mm f5 different from the dob 200p which is 1200mm f6.

Hehehe, you've not read it correctly - Title - The Great Orion Nebula ST80 style, the 200p & QHY5 are guiding it.

It was taken with my ST80.

My 200p is 1000mm f5 different from the dob 200p which is 1200mm f6.

What?! You used a 200P as a guide scope?! That's brilliant! So yours is the PDS is it? I thought my 200P (Dob) was F5.91 ;)

What?! You used a 200P as a guide scope?! That's brilliant! So yours is the PDS is it? I thought my 200P (Dob) was F5.91 ;)

Focal length (1200mm) / diameter of primary (200mm) = 6 so F6.

Same as mine.

Back to school for you Felix  :P

I wish I could get that field of view, my 200p would be f2!!!!

Edited by andyboy1970

Back to school for you Felix :P

Nope no schooling necessary-when I removed my primary mirror completely to flock the OTA I measured it's diameter and it was 203.3mm

So 1200 divided by 203.3 is actually 5.901639353937114 which, I think you will find (if you go back to high school maths) when rounded to the nearest DP is actually 5.91 :D Booyah!

Guest recceranger

Andy,

Many thanks mate. Will try a little messing about with previous shots. By the way that's a super shot of Orion.

FAB

Nope no schooling necessary-when I removed my primary mirror completely to flock the OTA I measured it's diameter and it was 203.3mm So 1200 divided by 203.3 is actually 5.901639353937114 which, I think you will find (if you go back to high school maths) when rounded to the nearest DP is actually 5.91 :D Booyah!

Ohhhh look at you.

I bet like engines not everyone's is the same, a 1.6 is not exactly 1.6 liters, Sky Watcher obviously just round up/down, be greatfull for the extra aperture!!!

;):D:lol:

Nope no schooling necessary-when I removed my primary mirror completely to flock the OTA I measured it's diameter and it was 203.3mm So 1200 divided by 203.3 is actually 5.901639353937114 which, I think you will find (if you go back to high school maths) when rounded to the nearest DP is actually 5.91 :D Booyah!

Ohhhh look at you.

I bet like engines not everyone's is the same, a 1.6 is not exactly 1.6 liters, Sky Watcher obviously just round up/down, be greatfull for the extra aperture!!!

;):D:lol:

Ha ha! I really don't think 3.3mm will make a visually noticeable difference when observing! You're probably right RE: variation between individual scopes of the same models.

We expect you to change you signatrure now to 200p Newtonian fully flocked f5.901639353937114.    :facepalm:

We expect you to change you signatrure now to 200p Newtonian fully flocked f5.901639353937114. :facepalm:

Lol! :D

Now 203.2 is a metric 8 inches so at f6 the focal length is 48 inches = 1219.2mm  :D

I suspect your going to have to strip the mirror out of the scope and measure the focal length.. :ph34r: