• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filter Comparison (What objects are better with what filter)

Doc

What a great help!! Printing off the various nebulii and their filter comparisons, good site, thanks for the link!!

• 3 years later...

Really useful stuff Mick thanks, I am at moment sharing and comparing UHC and Oiii filters with an Astro buddy at the Mansfield and Sutton Astro club to see which is the best, but nothing on this scale.

First time I made out the veil neb was last year through an Oiii and 12" dob. It was incredible and was a wonderful moment for me - I could not see it without the Oiii.

I have the Skywatcher UHC filter, but not tried it through my 10" cat yet on the Veil neb. Its high on my list though!

Cheers

Steve

I find the UHC is able to bring out detail without darkening the view too much. Try them both, and see which one works for you best.

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Excellent reading Pete!

It certainly saves a bit of time informing us what filter/filters is best to use on which object. There are a few more objects than you might think that can actually benefit from a h-beta filter. :)

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

What are the differences (if any) between a UHC filter and a CLS filter ?

I have a lot to learn with filters.

I've only ever used an ND (out of my white light solar kit) to dim the moon a bit

I have a HB but it hasn't impressed so far.

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

What are the differences (if any) between a UHC filter and a CLS filter ?

I have a lot to learn with filters.

I've only ever used an ND (out of my white light solar kit) to dim the moon a bit

I have a HB but it hasn't impressed so far.

CCD filters won't work visually or vice versa.

Have a look at the light curves, they are quite different animals...

15212718615981263823668.jpg?raw=1

15212717922412089765952.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1

I've never heard of anyone using CLS filters for visual. I think it is just horses for courses, sensors have different sensitivities at different frequencies to the human eye, so the filters need to be different. Personally I find visual filters a pain to use because the view is quite odd and difficult, and you lose a lot of star brightness, but sometimes the right visual filter just makes certain nebulae jump right out at you. I have 2" UHC, LPR, OIII and H-beta in a 5 position filter wheel with one hole clear, so I can instantly switch between filters. Recently I got a filter slider which does the same job but is lighter weight.

The OIII and UHC are the most useful.

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1