• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III VS ?

Mark Harper.

I'm looking at investing in a Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III, is this money well spent or is there a smarter option I'm missing?

Cheers Mark.

I like mine, I like the simplicity if offers while giving better views that the standard ep's that come with scopes.

But they are not to everyone's taste.

It is true that fixed focal length ep's do offer better quality than there zoom counterparts but the downside is you need 4-6 different ep's where the zoom has the majority of what you need (minus a wide fov) in one ep.

Some love em, some hate them, I would prefer standard fixed length ep's but only if I could afford really good ep's, until that day, I`m sticking with the zoom.

Being a photographer Mark you will understand that primes are always sharper then zooms.

But saying that the Baader zoom is one of the better ones.

I don't like them because of the narrow FOV.

I like mine for much the same reasons as Darren. Whilst I save for televue eyepieces I mostly use the Hyperion zoom and am happy with it for now.

Can't go wrong with it so long as expectations are realistic. It's significantly better than supplied eyepieces and most of the beginner eyepiece sets and many eyepieces under £80. Very flexible too with it's dslr thread ability and crisp clear views - little or no internal reflections. I call it a workhorse eyepiece very convenient for grab and go if you're travelling light.

It is a bit narrow at the wide end and doesn't suite everyone - but then the presumption is that you are zooming in to narrow fields of smaller objects. Try one at a session if in any doubt before purchasing. :)

Thanks for your input guys, I think I will try one first Kim and see how I get on. Cheers M.