• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A Tragic Week.

Perkil8r

67412_10151362923023917_892467712_n.jpg

This week sees the anniversaries of three tragic loses.

27th Jan 1967 the loss of Apollo 1 during testing.

28th Jan 1986 the loss of Space Shuttle Challenger on mission STS 51 L during take off.

1st Feb 2003 the loss of Space Shuttle Columbia on mission STS 107 during re-entry.

Those that lost their lives did so whilst helping to answer the most important questions mankind can ask.

RIP.

Tragic, and they paid  the ultimate price for the benefit of the rest of us.

I also hope that NASA have learned not to put the mission before the humans on it, as it has in two out of the three, been down to someone else's poor decisions that they were lost.

RIP.

We mustn't also forgot the Russian cosmonauts that where lost some who will never be known because the CCCP destroying records of some of their early launches

Nicely said Mike.

Although given the opportunity I think most of us would have strapped ourselves to those rockets.

At least they died doing something not only they enjoy but also something that is truly inspiring.

I like to think they went out with a smile on there face....

We mustn't also forgot the Russian cosmonauts that where lost some who will never be known because the CCCP destroying records of some of their early launches

Your right ;)

Were there any during the period between Jan 26th and Feb 2nd? I was merely saying that this week is a sad week due to the fact all 3 happened within that date range. I wasn't implying these are the only tragedies that deserve note.

Were there any during the period between Jan 26th and Feb 2nd? I was merely saying that this week is a sad week due to the fact all 3 happened within that date range. I wasn't implying these are the only tragedies that deserve note.

No please Mike dont take it that way

Any lost in the exploration of space is terrible, I know this week is a time of remembrance at NASA , I only meant that people tend to forget about the cosmonauts  (of which we know of) in the former Soviet Union that where killed the tragedy hushed up records lost or destroyed.

I apolgise if my post offend Mike :facepalm:

Allan

No please Mike dont take it that way

Any lost in the exploration of space is terrible, I know this week is a time of remembrance at NASA , I only meant that people tend to forget about the cosmonauts  (of which we know of) in the former Soviet Union that where killed the tragedy hushed up records lost or destroyed.

I apolgise if my post offend Mike :facepalm:

Allan

Not at all Allan, I was worried I had offended by not mentioning any.

I suspect there may even be some from other nations around the globe that we may never find out about. Luckily lessons have been learnt from these tragedies, and space exploration is now far safer than in the early days. It is a sad reality that lessons are only usually understood when things go wrong, and with space travel when things go wrong they usually tend to go very wrong.

Edited by Perkil8r

Phew

I'm new to this forum stuff so I'm sometimes not sure if I post or reply correctly thanks for your kind reply

I'm going to be going back to Folrida this May and plan to pay another visit to the Cape. Last time I got choked up walking into the hanger where a Saturn V is displayed.

thinking of Gus Grissom, Ed White, Roger Chaffee

you can see launch pad 34 on your trip around the site ( but when I went due to the on going terror worries access to the lanch pads wasn't permitted but they pointed out the lanuch pads

I rememeber Childrens Telly deing interrupted  to say Challenger has exploded

There is a wall at Cape Kenndy with all the astronauts and pilots that have been killed further the exploation of space very moving.

Have you watched the series from the Earth to the Moon ( very good ) kinda puts a human face of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space program

Again sorry about my indiscretion in my post :facepalm:  i will learn to get it right

Allan

I went round Kennedy in Dec 2011, as you say, a day to remember for sure. We were very lucky though in that they had just started doing trial tours of the VAB, so we went inside and saw Endeavor sat there being prepared for display. The memorial "Sky Mirror" is huge!