• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Small Observatories

Guest Katiem

Hi guys. Has anyone invested in a small observatory? If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages? Also where did you get it from and what was the spproximate cost?

Cheers,

Katie

I don't have one but could offer this advice...

1. Advantages/disadvantages, the advantage of the obsy is that you don't have to pack your kit away, it can be left (conditions dictate whether this is possible or not) and that means no pack up or set up time, with a eq mount that means no polar align every time you want to use it. Disadvantage, it's quite obvious to nasty folk that there is expensive kit in there, so could be a target for theives.

2. To keep cost down, most people build there own or mod a shed, making the roof roll off, see DIY section on here, a few members have made there own.

The cost of a purpose made one is likely to be in the thousands, do a google search for Altair Astro sky pod (I think) will do a search for you now.

Hope that helps?

Hi Katie.

I suppose the real acid test is how good is your sky. If it's anything like mine ( bad light pollution) it would be pointless investing in one.

That said if you are imaging with filters you would probably be fine. One of the imaging fraternity would be able to help out there.

If you are just visual, then getting to a dark site helps no end.

hi Katie,

the real main advantage is having your equipment already setup and waiting for you to just turn on, it`s already polar aligned, i`m almost finished with my build although not small it has cost no more than £600 so far to finish but all the labour is mine, i managed to purchase a second hand skyshed obsy and modify it to my needs, theres a thread called rob`s obsy build in the diy section somewhere if you fancy a look.

I've one for a year now, very useful indeed! No cooling down, no forgetting bits so you have to go inside again (important at my age!! ha ha).It's a small roll off obsy and cost under £200 !

Cheers

Ron

Hi Katie

The advantages of an observatory have been stated above, I made my observatory from scratch and saved alot of money that way.

Even getting a standard shed and modifying it will cost alot less than the purpose built observatories on the market today.

I echo all of the above

My set up is a temp job which has been in place for 41/2 years now and is very basic

and if you are an imager like me its means that even a short session can be done ,I can be up and running in minutes,also it does provide somewhere fro your kit out of the way from the rest of the family

Steve

Thanks for all your help, guys. Don't think I'm up to building my own so I would have to buy one. I am also concerned about the security aspects as our garden is quite open and overlooked. One of my other concerns is whether I would use it enough to justify the cost given that we get a lot of cloudy skies over Derby! I will take all your advice/suggestions on board and ponder on it for longer.

Thanks, Katie

I have to agree that they look great and not too expensive compared with the domes. Yep, definitely something to aspire to (or save up for).

Thanks for that, Rob.

Cheers, Katie

Guest bunnygod1

my home made roll on/off roof obsy cost around £200-300, at lot scavenging, and a far bit of hard work.its one of the best decision i have made, its only 6' x 6' but well worth the effort!