• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

To Flock or not to Flock that is the question

Allan the Plumber

Hi just a quick question That I know one of you experts will know the answer

Have whittled down scope I think would suit me and I read now that people with Newtonian telescope tend to "flock" the inside of the tube

My first question does this make a noticeable difference?

And how difficult is it ?

I have visions of strips of the flocking material and me with my arm stuck down the scope

Any helpful surgestions or links to how to do this would be gratefully received

Cheers

Allan

Definitely improved contrast visually for me. Highly recommend that you flock the entirety of the OTA and the inside of the focuser tube. Search the forum for flocking threads there are a few threads with details and pictures.

Edited by catman161

Yup - highly recommended but planning and measuring is essential. After I had done mine there was more flocking on me than there was on the scope lol.

You'll get a lot less tube reflections when viewing from anywhere polluted by light - and noticeable improvements in visual contrast - helps a lot to eek out the detail in objects. :)

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, Wilko's do a self adhesive black velour material. I think that's what most of us used.

It does without a doubt make a big difference in the contrast, simply by stopping any stray light bouncing around.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/dc-fix-fablon/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578/?htxt=%2FUvRjc0xAaKk26JwgsxcsV6E2gjpK53ITJCPcypNRrR6jhjYX3SDlEUFWaOdTpLU0xVcTayKYYOc%0Aw4t9gBa9qg%3D%3D

Here's a good thread that covers it, if you look through the DIY and Mod section, mostly towards the back end, page four and so on. It looks like we nearly all went mad doing it.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/836-flocking-hell/page-2

Hi Allan. I think it is definitely worth flocking your tybe if you do get a newtonian. I've done mine and from a city centre (nearly) location it does help.

As for how difficult it is, I suppose thats down to the individual. I found mine to be quite a pain in the bum. Mainly because it was a small diameter tube so it was hard to get my arms in.

A bit of advice for you. If you do decide to do it, roll out the length of flocking material first and put some heavy stuff on it to flatten it out. Stops it curlin back on itself when you're trying to apply it. Also very lightly spray a fine mist of water over where you're applying it. Lets it slide a bit when fitting it. Just let it dry out for a day before using it again.

Hope this helps.

Tobias

Edited by T A WOW

Yep flocking improves contrast in any scope be it reflector or refractor, Its easy to do and on a reflector you can get into the tube easily.

I've just ordered some flocking material from Wilco as I keep putting it off!! Don't really fancy stripping my 200PDS as at the moment it's spot on for

collimation, polar alignment etc!! Maybe a Summer job when the nights are shorter!!

i`m the same as you Ron,. i have do it before on the 5.1" 650mm long Newt which i found ok but it only involved 1 sheet of material.

i used the then available protostar flocking material which came from america, local guy used to buy it and ship it accross but that`s dried up now, real shame as it was lovely stuff and very very sticky.

Thanks guys it looks like to0 Flock is the answer will check out the links and when i get the telescope will have a go :facepalm:

Again thanks!!

Rob still ok to pop round about 12 today?

Allan

i thought i made a slight difference to the contrast when i did the 5.1" newt i had, as said above it also looks very smart, we are a fussy bunch.