• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What a start

Guest roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth

Ok, so Star Scope, has been whistling the good tune all week, pointing to a fair Sunday night for about 3 hours, all the gear is in the studio checked and waiting for 8ish, to get started. EP's laid out, red light torch new batteries, wife on duty at 9.00pm with a cupper (bless her, what she puts up with you will never know). IPad fully charged and ready for use, longitude and latitude sorted for accurate location. Radio controled clock for accurate time to the nearest 10secs

A quick check this afternoon confirmed my old batterie booster box works with the GOTO providing more and longer power than the 8 AA that normally power the scope. I even got my new tank suit, having decided that the old one had died a death and caught mildewitis.

Return at 7.30 to enjoy a good 2 to three hours, nice clear evening, with little cloud, Vega to the North, and the Moon to the south (I know they are not exactly North & South, but you know what I mean) and a full one at that.

And

The F*****g key snaps in the £18 brand new padlock, and absolutely no way of getting into the studio tonight.

Bummer.

Well there's always another night.

Edited by roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth

Thanks, but it was going to be my first night, Virginity popped, cherry throwen away with carefree abandonment.

Now I,v got to sike me self up for another night, which looks at this stage like Tuesday.

Guest roblynmouth

Yep

Checked the lock today in daylight, and as its shank is carbonated steel, not good for cutting the lock off. Looks like I've got to loose the whole clasp. However on the plus side I was contemplating installing a shed-bar locking system, and if the clasp/hasp has to go, this would be a good time to do the deed. Handmade from £30 for a single door (eBay) to around 50ish for a double door system, padlocks extra. Sigh, seems that that computer link to Hypathia, is going to have to wait a bit.

Edited by roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth
Oh dear. Think I would've got the crowbar out.

But as said, at least your kit is ok

Have to say, when I realised the bolt cutters we as much use as a chocolate fire guard, the prybar, was the next step. However with the crap weather and the next sky slot is possibly next week, I thought at least it's safe for the time being. Enough time to sort out the shed bar and new locks.

Oh dear sorry to here this, hope you still filled out your observing log, it will make you smile in the future. :)

I could write a book on disasters. I have had plenty but its a big learning curve onwards on upwards

Pat

I have started to keep a log of all things I do astronomical (for about the last 3 years) I like to look back every now and then.