• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Great Android App

Guest Turtleboy

Guest Turtleboy

I've found this fantastic Android app which I think will be a great help when setting up a motorised mount.

It's called "GPS Status and Toolbox" and it's free from the Android store.

Basically it provides information from all your phones sensors which means it gives you your current GPS location so you can accurately input your coordinates into the mount, a compass to give you correct north alignment and even a levelling "bubble".

It also gives you information on battery level, brigtness etc but you can turn off what you don't need.

export_01.png

Could come in very handy. :thumbsup:

Edited by Turtleboy

Looks an interesting gadget.

I used to fervently input the coordinates into my mount if ever I went to a different observing site.

Now I dont bother, I just leave my home coordinates in all the time.

So long as you get a reasonable polar align, RA axes pointing roughly at polaris that is the goto will sych with the sky making ammnedments. Example, at Kelling last sept I left the coordinates alone and my goto was placing the object in the centre 25% of the fov in a 10mm eyepiece with an F7.5 scope.

Guest Turtleboy

The problem for me is my back garden is SW facing so I can't see polaris because the house is in the way. I had my first attempt with the goto last night getting a rough Northern alignment with a compass and using Leeds (The nearest city listed in the menus) as my location, and levelling the scope by eye. Unsurprisingly the alignment failed. I ended up doing a quick 2 star align using Betelgeus and Rigel which again is hardly ideal because of their close proximity but it worked in a fashion an slewed close enough to objects to view with a bit of fine tuning. However the tracking wasn't great and objects still drifted out of the fov. I reckon if I had found this app earlier it would have made life a lot easier.

Inputting the coordinates into the mount but not getting a polar align wont really help getting good gotos Martin.

Using a real magnetic compass (phone ones can be notoriously innacurate) which are cheap and cheerful and easy to use, and dont destroy your night vision, will help aligning the mount north if you cant see polaris.

• 3 weeks later...