• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepeices

Guest Delfis4

Guest Delfis4

Thanks to all the guys who replied to my post in the General section.

Only joined EMS yesterday after purchasing a Celestron 1100 CPC GPS XLT (Definite WOW factor when you open the box)

Always wanted a telescope & my choice was based on careful consideration & reviews.

Looks like eyepeices are the key to good imagery so I'm going for 2".

I also purchased a Meade 5000 Star Diagonal.

The advice so far seems to be TeleVue eyepeices... just seen the prices !!!!!!!!!!!!

Which one do I save up for first ?

Cheers & a big HELLO to you all, looking forward to talking on the forums.

Depends what you want to view really. For planets you may want a higher mag (lower focal length) for wide field you'll want lower mag (longer focal length)

Peeps more experienced than me will be along soon I'm sure to give more info.

With eyepieces you pay for top quality but there are plenty of alternatives out there which are still good performers.

As Tobias mentioned eyepieces all depend on what you want to look at. Your SCT is F10 or 6.3 with a reducer therefore it has a pretty narrow field of view. When I had my C11 SCT I had the usual 2.5, 5. 10, 15 and 25mm eyepieces in 1 1/4" but then I went for acouple of nice big 2" 30mm and 50mm eyepieces to give me wider field of views.

Vixen and Pentax eyepieces are good cheqaper alternatives to Televues but there are loads of other makes out there that will give excellent views for fractions of the price, again it all depends on what you want out of your scope and eyepieces

OBTW nice choice on the diagonal

Guest Delfis4

Thanks 4 moving thread to a section which I will be reading.

As my stardiagonal is a Meade 5000 I quite fancy to start off with a Meade 5000 2" 40mm eypeice @ around £140 it seems quite reasonable.

All comments accepted.

Cheers

Hi Richard, a warm welcome to EMS.

It looks like you have some nice kit, and soon some nice eyepieces.

Enjoy the forum.

Yeah the new Meade 5000 have built quite a good reputation already, not looked through them myself.

I have now upgraded to a set of 4(3.5, 5, 13 and 22mm)  Vixen LVW 1.25" eyepieces (superb eyepieces highly recommended) which I use together with the 2" 30mm Vixen LV. This set up does me fine with my refractors and covers all bases.

Meade make very nice quality eyepieces at reasonable prices - I've not tried the 5000 range but the 3000's were very nice and I expect the 5000's will be similar or better still :)