• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tents, Footprints and Capets. amongst other stuff.

Perkil8r

I've just taken delivery of a nice new tent mainly for use at star parties after my last one gave up the ghost last year after 17 years of service.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350633813441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This is what I've got, which is basically an Outwell tent made specifically for Argos but now an outdated model. Absolute bargain if you ask me, but I digress.

Basically it is the same as the Nevada 4 tent they make/made so all of the accessories are a virtual straight fit. What benefit would I get from using a so called footprint? Is it really worth it or am I as well to just chuck a tarp under the tent instead? Same applies to the "fitted" carpet, am I as well to just use some remnant of carpet rather than buy the "proper" one?

Next on my list of stuff is lighting. I am thinking of buying an LED lantern that I can hang from the inside. I could either use some red gel over the outside to make it shine red, or, I could maybe take it apart and swap the LED's for red ones. Which would you do?

I have a camping chair, table, mattress and usual sleeping bag, spare duvet etc, but is there something else I should really consider getting before star party time so my experience is super nice? I have a stove and kettle etc BTW.

I have a carpet in mine made for the tent - much better than the hard floor.

I also have the footprint - footprint wise it just keeps the bottom of the tent cleaner, easier to clean the footprint than the tent!

I would say footprint not required, if you can afford the fitted carpet do, if not, just some off cuts should suffice.

Guest Kheldar

I recommend both, think you have a sewn in ground sheet so you definitely want something under the tent to protect it, and the designed for ones are cut to shape so it's a template for laying out the tent.

As to the carpet, yeah offcuts would do .. but fitted one is soo much nicer :)

I stayed at Dazington Palace at EMS1 and it was like staying at the Ritz, the wall to wall flooring was so warm and cosy.

Hmm..... may consider the footprint then, but the carpet, not sure, seems like a lot of money plus isn't it quite bulky?

Guest Kheldar

Hmm..... may consider the footprint then, but the carpet, not sure, seems like a lot of money plus isn't it quite bulky?

My tent is bigger than yours, and the carpet rolls up smaller than a sleeping bag

Annoyingly I can get the carpet no probs, albeit in green (the tent is blue) but the footprint I can only find at Go Outdoors, and not at any of the local ones, instead only at Wolverhampton :( What's more, they won't deliver, plus you have to pay £5 a year to shop there! Lousy rotters.

• 2 weeks later...

You could use a tarp underneath Mike, the footprint keeps the bottom of the tent mud free, so you can just pack it away when done, it also and more importantly, protects the ground sheet from perforation from stones, rocks etc....

You don't have to buy that card, you only buy it for the discount, although if your buying 1 item the card could cost more than the saving in which case don't bother, I would strongly suggest a proofing agent to top up your tents hydrostatic head, as the price of that tent suggests its designed for a summer holiday. Try not to have anything touching the outer wall either as it will let water in.

I also think you might have left cool box of beer off the old list there....

I own a couple of £500 tents but there are places where you just can't take a tent, (wild camping in woods, forests and hill/mountain sides) so we now use hammocks and tarps with an open fire between us. It's fun below minus 10. Lol. The skin was peeling off my face for 2 weeks....

I recently got rid of a caravan so I've got a Porta Potti (brand new in box) plus chemicals for sale if you or anyone else is interested in adding one of these to your camping equipment.

I got a footprint off of the interwebnet, perfect size and shape so that's all good :)

I did consider a porta loo, but decided I would rather stretch my legs and walk to the site facilities than have to empty a porta potty. I just need to find myself a carpet now, I have found one but it's a bit pricey, so will hang fire in case I see one cheaper come up before I need it.

Lol doesn't compare to my 'moon base' haha....I have a carpet in it, but no footprint....there isn't one big enough or designed for my tent :P

I don't know the answers to your questions Mike, but at that price the tent is certainly a bargain & I'm sure it will be up to the job.