• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Near Earth Object 15th Feb

Perkil8r

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/30/asteroid-2012-da14-miss-earth-february-15_n_2581271.html?icid=maing-grid7|uk|dl5|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D150635

According to this we are to be buzzed by a 164 ft Asteroid on 15th Feb, it will pass closer than many of our satellites so they say. This worries me, not because it's a close shave as much as the fact they have only just mentioned it as if it's come as a surprise! They say that we are safe from being hit as they haven't identified any Earth threatening objects, and if they did they would have enough notice to do something about it, yet here we are 2 weeks before and "Oh, what's that?"

Doesn't instil much confidence in my opinion, although maybe they knew about it for ages and knew it was safe, hence not mentioning it before?

Is this the one that they think the orbit path could be affected by the earths gravitational field as it passes by which could make it a bit interesting in 2029?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/30/asteroid-2012-da14-miss-earth-february-15_n_2581271.html?icid=maing-grid7|uk|dl5|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D150635

According to this we are to be buzzed by a 164 ft Asteroid on 15th Feb, it will pass closer than many of our satellites so they say. This worries me, not because it's a close shave as much as the fact they have only just mentioned it as if it's come as a surprise! They say that we are safe from being hit as they haven't identified any Earth threatening objects, and if they did they would have enough notice to do something about it, yet here we are 2 weeks before and "Oh, what's that?"

Doesn't instil much confidence in my opinion, although maybe they knew about it for ages and knew it was safe, hence not mentioning it before?

It's been talked about since beginning of January-well that's the first I heard of it. They discussed it on Stargazing Live.

I'll take my hard hat that day, just in case!

It is a bit close though, probably be able to smell it going by!