• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter family portrait with vintage OO 8" Newt

philjay

Had fun tonight before cloudover. Tried the Orion Optics 8" F6 Newt for imaging. I mounted on the observatory mount which put the eyepiece where I needed steps to get to it but the motor focuser came in really handy here. Even with windbreaks up on the walls of the obs the scope came in for some buffeting from the wind and low power mag was all I could really justify.

So here is a family portrait with a 2x barlow giving F12 using the Mono QHY5 guide cam. About 500 frames and the finalimage is cropped and zoomed hence its somewhat pixely

There are still issues with the collimation, its soft and flaring on one side so Im going to strip the scope and start from scratch again. But so far Im pleased with it the optics are proving to be quite good.

Nice to see your latest project is starting to deliver the goods, despite you issues with the weather and collimation. Still a decent image by any standards and some good detail is starting to show on Jupiter.

That's a great image Phil-if it were me I would be really pleased and would not be stripping the scope down! But then I do not have your years experience and skill for stripping scopes down too! Beautiful shot-love the band detail and moons. Well done. Thanks for sharing ;)

Thanks folks

I say the collimation is a bit off because if you look carefully at the planet the detail on the moon side is softer than the other side even though its been sharpened equally also when stretched there is flaring on that side also. This smacks of the primary being tilted. When I 1st had the optics resilvered I got the collimation smack on but after fitting the new focuser Ive lost the plot a bit and just cant get it right, something is definately out of line. Im going to strip it again then start from 1st principles and its also a good excuse to do a few mods on the way :)