• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ST80 eyepiece that worked

Guest JSP555

Nice small scope or guide scope , anyway  as you know finding a eyepiece to settle on is a minefield , especially with a small tube refractor which is very hard on cheap eyepieces , wanted a  cheap 20mm eyepiece so i tried Revalation 20mm, GSO 20mm , GSO superview which was a bit better( same stable ) and  the meade 4000 20mm , all showed to much C A for my liking , then tried the skywatcher 20mm ultra view and bingo  problem solved ,why this should be i havent a clue , however thoose vastly more experienced than myself might be able to tell me ? :) many thanks

Guest Kheldar

Your problem here is not the EP ... it's the scope I'm afraid :o As to why you had noticeably better perforumance with the ultra view, I dunno :(

Edited by Kheldar

Your problem here is not the EP ... it's the scope I'm afraid :o As to why you had noticeably better perforumance with the ultra view, I dunno :(

Is it possible that the EP has the exact or very close to inverse error of the scope, thus correcting it?

This is only a guess - but imho the Mead 4000 would be the best corrected out of those eyepieces and probably showed the true CA in the scope. If you try the Skywatcher eyepiece in a well corrected scope I'll bet it shows up some CA attributable to the eyepiece. Certainly worth trying out the theory. :)

This is only a guess - but imho the Mead 4000 would be the best corrected out of those eyepieces and probably showed the true CA in the scope. If you try the Skywatcher eyepiece in a well corrected scope I'll bet it shows up some CA attributable to the eyepiece. Certainly worth trying out the theory. :)

Think you nailed it Kim, sounds like that to me..

This is only a guess - but imho the Mead 4000 would be the best corrected out of those eyepieces and probably showed the true CA in the scope. If you try the Skywatcher eyepiece in a well corrected scope I'll bet it shows up some CA attributable to the eyepiece. Certainly worth trying out the theory.

Tried the skywatcher ep in a st102 , as most interested in this , and found the CA was evident mostly around the edges of the ep , then the  meade 4000 that was lent to me, was tried again in the st102  and compared favourably to the skywatcher 20mm ultra , to be honest there was nothing in it as to the CA that showed around the edges , although did enjoy the 66 degree feild of view from the ultra, however when using the st80 like you said brantuk, the meade did show more CA, The st80 is a nice little scope , however can be extremely difficult on cheap eyepeices, mind you there also lots of constraints to contend with eps, the eyes of certain individuals , age of individuals , the actual telescope be it reflector or refractor , and   quality of said instruments used ,  im happy that the ultra ep worked on the st80 , however i can say im going to resist ep fever :) after going thru the hassle to find a ep that worked for me , im quite happy now but reluctant to buy any more for a very very long time , unless i splash the cash for a bigger scope :)

Edited by JSP555

My fav is still my TMB 6mm I know a lot of people don't like these but I find them great. What's suits the eye I suppose...

I have a 6mm TMB, and it's not bad, it's good in the centre, but a bit fuzzy at the edges, that said, I do like it.