• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First attempt at sketching NGC457

catman161

Hi guys this is my first ever attempt at sketching so go easy on me :) I tried to sketch the Owl Cluster tonight 02/02/2013. Full observing report to follow in observing section-really enjoyable night in the back yard :) Anyway here's the sketch-advice/tips appreciated. I don't have a scanner so it's a photo I'm afraid.

jajybydu.jpg

Thanks pat will give the inversion a go on the laptop tomorrow. Thanks. Yeah will give sketching a go again I think-was nice to spend more time on one object.

Looks good Felix, you have got the shape and balance right. 

Even with sketching it looks like you need to know some dark arts then! 

Thanks Martyn :) yep it appears the use of photoshop/image processing software is unavoidable with astro! ;)

Well I have no idea when it comes to using Photoshop CS 2 so I just loaded the picture up and clicked invert?? I am sure you must be able to make the background black but I don't know how you do it! Anyway here's the sketch inverted.

uru3ejur.jpg

looks good give the curves and levels a tweak they work back to front

Thanks Pat-that means absolutely nothing to me I'm afraid! Like I said today is first time I've ever used PSCS2!

Nice one Felix, great to see someone else having a go at sketching. As Pat suggested give it a go in the scanner when you can then invert it. Looks good as is though and the proportions are good.

Nice one Felix, great to see someone else having a go at sketching. As Pat suggested give it a go in the scanner when you can then invert it. Looks good as is though and the proportions are good.

Thanks Phil. I don't own a scanner unfortunately. I will be keeping all my sketches so when I do get a scanner get ready for a mass post in this thread. All jokes aside I quite enjoyed having a go at this last night. Will definitely give it a go again-way cheaper than astrophotography ;)

Felix I did a first sketch of Jupiter last night, dont want to post it tho, lol

That's teasing Dave-I wanna see it now! Come on I posted my first attempt!