• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A couple from last night

philjay

Managed 1st light on the Atik 314L OSC last night. I didnt want to be fighting guiding as well as learning a new camera so I used the FLT98 with WO Mk4 flattener and reducer to bring the FL down to 5.6 and giving a nice wide field. Forgot to reset the reducer so some off stars at the edges are strange but what the hey. 

Both about an hour of 4 minute subs through some real pea soupy high mist so I had alot of gradients to get rid of. No calibration on the images cos I wanted to see how noisy the cam was, so Ive cheated and taken some of the artifacts out.

Alltogether Im pleased with the camera (thanks Sheila) and I reckon it will do nicely for what I want to do.

Oh sorry the images are M1 and M81 :)

No mate, sorry, it was guided but I kept the subs down to 4 minutes and went for short focal length to reduce any guiding errors.I wish my mount could do 4 minutes unguided :)

:D  glad you are back into it now with the OSC, always pleased to help :lol:

not got started me yet, just waiting filter wheel and new NEQ6 head and then should be good to go

Sheila

Very Nice Phil. I especially like M81. I bet you're well pleased with those results. Lovely colour and detail.

Too early to tell on the technique but I like the camera and principle Stephen but looking good so far, gotta get back into the routine of sorting everything out, flats/darks bias etc but its still alot less fiddly than LRGB.

Not quite back into it Sheila but its given me the shot in the arm I needed, was getting a bit frustrated before so hopefully I can get on to what I originally wanted the cam for close ups of galaxies and planetaries in the Meade 127 EDT at f7.5 and a colourful double/multiple stars at high f ratio.