• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Canon 10x42 L IS WP Binoculars any comments on them.

Since I borrowed Astronut's pair at Kelling a few years back, I've always wanted a pair of Canon 10x42L IS Binoculars the same as the one in the link below.

http://panamoz.com/index.php/binoculars/canon/canon-10-x-42l-is-wp-image-stabilising-water-proof-binoculars-with-neck-strap-and-case.html

I have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

These would be used for astro and birding. Anybody used them and if so what were they like.

The optics arew made from Canon's best glass hence the red ring and apparently they afre pretty awesome.

Any comments.

Hey Mick they use these at my drop zone mounted on a parallelogram mount to monitor the jumpers in freefall/under canopy. I have done this and I must at I was impressed with the clarity of them-really sharp views.Whilst there was a weather hold for jumping that day I watched a red kite for about 25 minutes with them and was very impressed.

I haven't used them for astro stuff as they lock them away at night. Great bins IMO

Thanks Felix this is very helpful, how far away are the jumpers you are observing.

Hey Mick the regular jumpers are visible in freefall about 8-10 seconds after exit (I can tell when this is about to happen as the engine pitch of the plane changes which signals to me to look through the bins) so that puts them at approx 11-12,000 feet. Then I watch them under canopy (they open their chutes at 3,000ft). In freefall you can clearly see them as people but nothing of facial features as they descend you can make out colours and designs on their jumpsuits. Under canopy your can clearly make out their faces and writing on their helmets/jumpsuits.

I've had a brief play with IS bins and I have to say they are the way to go. Total dogs danglies - my play was cut short cos Di grabbed them and settled in for the night on a lounger lol. Put it this way - just hand held the coat hanger asterism sits there totally motionless as you hand hold the instrument - no support required. Knocked my socks off it did.

The pair I used were £600 but sorry I can't remember the model - it was 3 yrs ago at Kelling. You'll save about £150 or so on a decent mount cos you just won't need one. Splosh the dosh - I'll show you how to use them - you can watch me observing all night. lol :)

Wow that is some distance.

Cheers matey.

No probs a Mick :) They are awesome bins but are very pricey-you know what they say you pay for quality

I've had a brief play with IS bins and I have to say they are the way to go. Total dogs danglies - my play was cut short cos Di grabbed them and settled in for the night on a lounger lol. Put it this way - just hand held the coat hanger asterism sits there totally motionless as you hand hold the instrument - no support required. Knocked my socks off it did.

The pair I used were £600 but sorry I can't remember the model - it was 3 yrs ago at Kelling. You'll save about £150 or so on a decent mount cos you just won't need one. Splosh the dosh - I'll show you how to use them - you can watch me observing all night. lol :)

Does the same apply to your EP collection Kim, do you fancy watching me use them?

;)

• 1 month later...

I've got a pair of 15x50's, which cost £600 back in 2004. Never once have I regretted buying them. Life keepers. They never fail to impress at astro meets. One of my 'favourite views' (through any optical device) is the Pleiades through the Canons 4.5 degree field at our dark site at Brailsford. Stunning. In fact, it's better than my refractor & 31mm Nagler. I've never seen the 10x42L's. I'm sure they are exquisite with that L series glass. You'll lose out a little in aperture & magnification, but they will be lighter to hold / carry for sure. I thoroughly recommend them.