• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tried commando style tonight lol

Celeste

I gave up my synscan handset/motors for tonight and went 'commando', just to see how I got on finding stuff for myself (with help from Stellarium) didn't have long out, but I found Jupiter (very obvious) M42 (obvious) M45 (obvious) M31 (easier than I thought) and NGC884/869 (double cluster) that was a tad harder but I got it within minutes. I did spot something else like a galaxy but I have no idea what it was lol.....and I can't find it on Stellarium (i'm prob not looking in the right spot) But I feel quite chuffed with myself :) i'm usually glued to my handset :lol:

Congrats for going "commando", for a minute there, I wondered where you were going with that - lol.

Bit cold out for that sort of thing.

;)

Think you may get quite a lot of views to this thread with a title like that, certainly caught my eye - lol.

Edited by Daz type-r

Can we edit titles Craig? I couldn't see a way last night lol.....will this cause offence? I find it funny now I realise the *other* meaning :lol: it just didn't occur to me when I was typing it honest!

You can using the full editor, but I wouldn't worry. I think a bit of humour is a good thing. :D

GOTO is wonderful thing but you beat a bit of trial and error to teach you where objects are. I suspect you felt a greater sense of achievement having found even easy objects yourself than you would if the mount had done it for you, plus whilst the mystery galaxy will turn out to be something common, had the goto been on the case you wouldn't have found it and you would now be trying to identify it.

Yup agreed John, I enjoyed pushing the scope around and just looking. Still unsure of what I saw, and can't remember where it was I was looking :lol: