• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

moon shot

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

Guys,

I have seen a lot of photos of the moon in colour and was wondering how its done. Is it using filters or software edit?

Also a quick one on accurate tracking. If I'm using a set up with guide scope/synguide (SW) do I still need to go through accurate polar alignment on my HEQ5 or can I do basic polar align, 3 Star align and crack on?

Cheers dudes (and dudetts!)

A rough polar align will provide enough accuracy for observing - just point the mount (and scope in the home position) due North and set the lattitude scale to your observing site. But for imaging it really needs to be as accurate as possible - if not dead on.

I seem to remember Peter Shah has done some nice colour shots of the moon - pm him for some tips - he's a nice chap and a real expert - I'm sure he'd be willing to offer some useful guidelines.  :)