• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ELAC Feb 9th meeting.

RonC

Hi fellow ELAC members!

Just checking out weather forecasts for the weekend, Saturday is not looking good at all, BUT Friday night seems to be forecast as clear? Can others check out their most used weather sites and see if it agree's with mine?

If so, what about a move to Friday night instead of Saturday or is it too late??

Ron

I'm at work but could come down later on friday. What do the other guys think?

I have PM'ed you about this Ron. If we change dates I will do a group email and change the website.

I could probably do either but Saturday is better for me as i can go earlier. If i went on Friday i would not be able to go until 6-7pm due to work commitments.

It does Dave, i guess we will see on the night, not the first time the forcast has been wrong?

I will still be there Mark, we really need to sort a meeting room out even if its an old shed. Just somewhere we can sit and chat on meeting nights out of the weather. Wonder what gib point would say to that idea? Thinking about it now it would be quite easy to do from the elac side?

I will still be there Mark, we really need to sort a meeting room out even if its an old shed. Just somewhere we can sit and chat on meeting nights out of the weather. Wonder what gib point would say to that idea? Thinking about it now it would be quite easy to do from the elac side?

Next meet i will put my tent up. It is always in the back of the van anyway. :)

So we wait and see what the forecast is tomorrow? I'm OK for Fri or Sat ! :)  (Worth asking though?)

The odd clear spot tonight but tomorrow night looks like rain turning to snow !!! Not going to be driving all that way if it's raining!

The odd clear spot tonight but tomorrow night looks like rain turning to snow !!! Not going to be driving all that way if it's raining!

Forecast actually looks ok Ron, possible clear spells.

What time are you all heading down tomorrow?

I am heading down whilst it is still light, about 4.30-500pm.

Guest Justinshaw

Need to get a grant from national lottery and the wildlife trust to get an observatory built, with coffee making facilities thats the important bit on cold nights

Edited by Justinshaw

Guest MakkaPakka1

Hey guys, I won't be able to make it to my second meeting with you all. Falklands gave me tonsillitis! But I'm hoping to go to the moonwatch meet if it's still going ahead.

I hope the weather is good for everyone.

Looks like a good crowd gathering - have a great time everyone and look forward to seeing the reports and pics :)

Thanks to all that attended tonights meeting, again gibraltar point has done us proud it seems to have very clear skies ;) best turn out yet. Once again thanks to everyone, mark will post a report soon.

PS next month will be elacs first birthday...

Firstly thanks to everyone that turned out tonight and endured the cold and damp conditions. We hope we made you feel welcome and that you enjoyed your evening with ELAC.

A very good turnout tonight and due to us getting there early, it was nice to see some of the newer faces in daylight, as last meeting some of the newer faces arrived after dark.

A bit of a mixed bag tonight as there were the odd spells of nice clear sky but there was a lot of moisture about last night and we were dodging clouds and haze at times.

First object of the evening was Jupiter. The GRS was visible tonight and the dusk sky gave some nice steady viewing conditions, so a lot of detail was visible on the Disc of Jupiter. Paul (tbird) had his new Celestron 9.25 with him tonight and the views of Jupiter were very impressive. Visually there was even some mottling visible on the polar regions of Jupiter, something i had imaged before but not seen visually. This just goes to show what a great scope these are for planetary observation.

I could make out similar detail in the 12 inch dob but it was not so obvious and the image lacked the contrast shown in Pauls 9.25.

M42 looked impressive tonight with lovely sweeping arks of nebula visible and the Trapezium easily showing the E and F stars. I think everyone present looked at M42 tonight and was impressed with how much detail was visible from the dark site.

The Flame Nebula was also visible early on tonight and through the 12 inch dob the dark middle lane was quite obvious with hints of structure showing in the nebula itself.

M81 and M82 were looking impressive tonight especially when viewed at low power and in the same field of view.

M51 could be seen but was too low to be of any real interest.

M31, and its 2 sattelite galaxies were easily seen tonight and M31 seemed to fill the whole field of view at low power.

The Eskimo nebula in Gemini was an impressive site tonight and the outer halo was clearly defined.

The Loe triplet could also be seen tonight but due to being so low down lacked the usual wow factor, still nice all the same.

We looked at some nice open clusters in Auriga and the double cluster with people lining up to take a look.

The Owl Nebula was showing quite well tonight and i thought i could just about make out "the eyes" with averted vision in the dob.

Last up tonight was the Io transit of Jupiter. Despite the haze we hung on in there though with the haze the seeing had gone downhill. We managed to get some nice views of Io approaching the disc of Jupiter and were able to see it crossing the face of the planet for 10 -15 minutes but it was then lost due to the clare of the planet and the conditions.

Numerous other objects were seen tonight, and all members were walking around to have a peek through other members scopes. This is what it is all about and i just hope that tonight the newer members have seen a thing or two that may just make them want to join us again next time.

Clear  skies. :D

Smashing report Mark - I particularly like the description of the different views in the 925 sct and the 12" dob. That's exactly what it's like and is a question often asked by newbies considering their first upgrade. So - that's well answered.

Looking through each others scopes and doing comparisons is very useful and of course loads of fun. How many turned up? :)