• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

145 CMA from 6th Feb 2013

Guest Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi all,

I know I have probably posted an image of this double before, but I got another image of this lovely double last night, and thought I would yet again share it.

I find it a wonderful colour double, but because it lies very low on the Southern horizon, about 15 degrees up, it suffers a lot from atmospheric disturbances, however, I still think its a striking pair to look at.

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

I'm not sure what the colour it is supposed to be on this one.

I have set APT to give me .jpg and .cr2 (raw) images, and they appear totally different.

That (above) is the .jpg image, and it looks very pink.

This one, (below) is the exact same image, but converted from the raw .cr2 file. No changes have been done other than cropping.

Edited by Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Didn't have any filter in at all Pat.

I took a set later with the UHC-S filter, but not got round to looking at them yet.

I can't understand either why the raw image is SO different to the .jpg image. They are the same image from the camera, except the .jpg is processed in the camera, the raw is just a straight conversion to .jpg.

I have also used 2 different software packages to convert it from raw to .jpg, (Photoshop & Canon Digital Photo Pro), and they both come out the same.

Must be a setting on the camera which alters the way the camera processes .jpg's.

Martin

Guest Kheldar

I don't believe it's the conversion so much as the colour profile that is embedded in the output image - if you use PS, make sure that when you "Save For Web" the Adobe-RGB profile is embedded in the image, and it should come out the "right" colour

Guest Ely Ellis

Stephen.... PS? Photoshop or Paintshop?

I gave up on Photoshop as I just wanted load in the .cr2 image, crop it and save it as a .jpg. I can do batch crop and conversion in Paintshop, but cannot even load .cr2 into Photoshop.

I have loaded the .cr2 images into Canon's Digital Photo Professional, used the batch crop and save function to convert to .tif but for some reason, each file has 2 images. When uncropped, and saved as .tif, then the first image is large and normal, the second image is postage size, but.... if I crop it first, then the first image is the cropped size (normally 200x200) and the second images is larger (still cropped), and better quality at about 241x241.

I then had to run everything through Paintshop to remove the unwanted second (or first) image before finaly saving. Bit of a mess when all I want to do is to batch crop and save as tif!

Any advise would be welcome.

Oh, there is no processing in the images, no curves, levels or anything, just cropping to size.

Cheers

Martin