• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

8SE

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

FINALLY managed to get first light on the 8SE tonight in between cloud cover and WOW, some great sights.  Need to work on aligning the scope for accurate go to but the views were awesome - checked collimation first and it was near perfect. 

Only downside (if it is that) was I couldnt get some of the DSO's into the eyepiece, in fact some of them I only got a very small FOV (pleides, beehive cluster etc.).  At first I thought it was the hyperion zoom so changed to a 40mm plossl and still got the same problem.  Now, is that the trade off for having the long focal length, or is it an eyepiece issue where I need to get a better, low power, wide FOV eyepiece?  If the latter can one of you more experienced suggest a good option (not in TV league) but something that would maximise the view, around £150 mark top?

But overall very impressed - now just need a good night and hopefully I will get to an EMS dark site to meet you all.

Sct's have a narrow field of view and typically used as planet killers. However you can reduce the focal length (and the focal ratio) with - believe it or not - a reducer. It won't change the visual back aperture but you'll be looking at a wider section of the light cone. Don't forget you're putting more glass in the way which reduces image quality - but a good reducer will be almost transparent. I've seen some pretty good images using and sct and reducer. Makes the whole thing a good all rounder. :)

I use the Celestron 6.3 which is tailored for all their sct's - it's a very nice piece - they've come down quite a bit - used to be £156.

You still won't get the whole double cluster nor M31 in (very large objects)  but it'll certainly take the plieades and many open/closed clusters. It'll also reduce exposure time if you're imaging. :)